LDS fails to deliver OW portion of PADI rescue, says tough luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have time to look but at the end of the day why would someone sign up for a class when there are no checkout dives offered without having a backup instructor?

If there were no checkout dives offered then the dive shop is lying to us from their responses.

If there were checkout dives offered and they didn't get cancelled then the OP is lying to us.

I'm really curious which party is lying about whether or not checkout dives were offered/scheduled/cancelled.

You seem to be the only one struggling with this. The OP signed up for the course (without a back up instructor) because, while it was not charged for initially (due to variable travel costs) it was implied that the OW portion would be offered...

then the relationship between the shop and the instructor went south...

then there was a bunch of he said/she said about who proposed what when where.

I don't really care who said what when where or need to prove one or the other is a liar. That is something between them.

The lesson taken away for others is really that situations like this can be avoided by clearly set out expectations (from both sides) and prompt two way communication when something goes amiss. In that sense it is a beneficial thread.

I know that if I were to take a rescue course I would ask what dates it was being offered (as I often have scheduling conflicts).

• If the dates fell on dates I could attend I would enroll.
  • If the shop then canceled I would expect other dates that worked for me within a reasonable time, I would expect the shop to work harder at this than me as they were the ones who canceled the set dates.
  • I would not expect the shop to just bail and say the rest of the course planning is up to me.
  • If no dates could be set I would expect a refund equal to that which I had paid for in terms of what it would cost for me to complete certification with a second vendor at whatever point the second vendor felt I needed to start at. In this case it appears to be nothing - if the diver can just do the OW portion with a second instructor as stated.
  • I would not be particularly happy if that were to occur and the shop would have to prove to me that they had tried their best to accomodate or they would receive a bad review for having wasted my mu&%$^# f*#$ing time.

Hi everyone,

We have 2 future PADI rescue diver weekend trips scheduled-one in October and one in November.

The OP took did his training in June, isn't scheduling the check-out dives months latter a bit ridiculous?

\
The lesson taken away for others is really that situations like this can be avoided by clearly set out expectations (from both sides) and prompt two way communication when something goes amiss. In that sense it is a beneficial thread.

You can say it's a beneficial thread but I seriously doubt the OP set out to discuss the merits of clearly setting expectations. He set out to attack the dive shop in a public place and to gather sympathy, not to discuss communication about checkout dives before paying.

I agree with you that prompt two way communication is critical, but the title of the thread is libelous given that it is asserting that the LDS failed to deliver, when it was bad scheduling on both the LDS and the diver's part, bad communication, or any number of things.

The LDS failing to deliver would be to contract for an open water dive but then not delivering on what was contracted and paid for, it really is that simple.

If the LDS really failed to deliver he would be taking them to court, not airing his dirty laundry on a forum in an attempt to "shame" or badmouth the LDS by name.

You can say it's a beneficial thread but I seriously doubt the OP set out to discuss the merits of clearly setting expectations. He set out to attack the dive shop in a public place and to gather sympathy, not to discuss communication about checkout dives before paying.

I don't think any of us can say with any certainty what the OPs motive for posting was. I read it as the OP trying to get some opinions from other divers as to what he should do.

I agree with you that prompt two way communication is critical, but the title of the thread is libelous given that it is asserting that the LDS failed to deliver, when it was bad scheduling on both the LDS and the diver's part, bad communication, or any number of things.

I doubt it is libel. But you are apparently the expert on Arizona law. Was the OP's post malicious? I think his post could easily be read as simply wanting some advice from the diving community.

The LDS failing to deliver would be to contract for an open water dive but then not delivering on what was contracted and paid for, it really is that simple.

As far as I can tell from the information posted, it was ambiguously stated as to what the parties "contracted for." As far I can tell, the LDS didn't state their agreement with the OP was for classroom work only. Rather, the LDS had an ambiguous statement on their web site stating something along the lines of the cost of the open water portion not being included in the cost of the classroom work. That doesn't tell us what the parties understood the agreement to be.

If the LDS really failed to deliver he would be taking them to court, not airing his dirty laundry on a forum in an attempt to "shame" or badmouth the LDS by name.

I don't think he would be taking them to court, because even if he had a rock-solid case it would not be worth the hassle or expense, especially when he isn't out of pocket any money. What is he going to ask the court to do? Order the LDS to schedule dives that meet his schedule?! Of course not. I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming his motives were not malicious and that he knows when to walk away. He's already told us how he's moved on to bigger and better things in his diving.

I guess I just see things differently. Having browsed your profile I'm curious upon what foundation of personal experience you are basing your firmly held beliefs regarding what is implied or not implied when registering for a rescue course?

In the end there are far more important things to get twisted about in diving (like split fins and spare air). Pace yourself accordingly. That is why I am staying out of the individuals drama here and focusing on the general issues at play.

Just wanted to close this story. Both the other student and I got our OW Rescue dives done with the original instructor, unaffiliated with the original dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom