LDS gear is expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's important to shop at you lds. I don't take issue with ordering online.But if someone wants to see and feel the actual product the the local shop has in stock it should be purchased from them. Nothing wrong with ordering online but don't use the store as a showroom.

I kind-of agree. If you are going to enter a store and try on gear that takes significant time with shop staff, such as a drysuit or wet suit or anything where you are consuming significant amounts of someone's time, then they have earned your business, all other things being equal.

There are caveats, such as if they become total jerks or "you gonna die" types if you don't like their pick, or if the price is just totally out to lunch and they refuse to disucss. But if the deal is fair (even if it's above on-line) and they've assisted, then I'll buy from the shop no problem.

On the other hand, if no-one lifts a finger to help, or they can't be bothered to stop chatting with a non-customer buddy to even say "hi", and all you are doing is having a look around, then there's no obligation to spend your money with them. Again, IMO.

I have left many places of business (not just scuba shops) where the sales monkey won't stop talking to girlfriend/boyfriend on the phone to even acknowledge my existence. I usually don't return as there are lots of options for almost anything you want to buy, including on-line.

EDIT: Before I take up shop time trying stuff on, I'll check the prices first. If prices are outrageous, then I'll go elsewhere rather than take up their time. No fair getting them to help you if you know before you start you aren't buying from them, IMO.

find a new lds. a good lds will work to earn your business whether by being competitive on price or bundling in other items of value to make up the price difference. examples would be being sold the floor display item in order to price match or getting the difference in price in fill cards or store credit for services (visuals/hydro/etc)

I think it's important to shop at you lds. I don't take issue with ordering online.But if someone wants to see and feel the actual product the the local shop has in stock it should be purchased from them. Nothing wrong with ordering online but don't use the store as a showroom.

that implies that dive shops actually carry inventory. The VAST majority don't so it's "i can order it for you" and if that's the case, screw it, i'll order it from somewhere online, usually save sales tax, most have free shipping, and usually come out cheaper on original purchase price.

that implies that dive shops actually carry inventory. The VAST majority don't so it's "i can order it for you" and if that's the case, screw it, i'll order it from somewhere online, usually save sales tax, most have free shipping, and usually come out cheaper on original purchase price.
However, we ( Scubaboard Business Sponsor & LDS ) might have products & services that the " Big Boys " don't have or can't provide. Furthermore, we can crush them on value.

How true! Most LDS apparently don't have the cash flow for much inventory, which pretty much kills off any motivation to buy locally instead of the WWW. If I can't try it on/demo it at the store, that sale will be diverted to the 'evil' WWW instead. LDS will pretty much have to survive on gear service/rentals, trip bookings, pool 'rental', gas fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom