LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
The internet shoppers? We fill their tanks of course, last. We repair their equipment, last and of course without discounts. We even will assemble their LP equipment for them and test it, for a price and of course they get to dive in our pool, if they pay.

We love them all, but we appreciate the loyal customers. :)

All very reasonable if done without a punative attitude and gouging. The LDS will need to make his living from both the internet customers and the "loyal" customer without misleading either. The smart shops that adapt and survive may even start pumping enough gas to make their compressor a profit maker once the marginal shops get moved out of the way.

hoosier:

Wow~~~ It is so pathetic and you don’t get any points what other customers said.

Many service and manufacturing companies even throw out their money to find out what customers are thinking. If someone is a shop owner here, this board is a good place to find out the trend and current situation of diving industry. Look at our board member’s diversity in one cyberspace. Before being another pathetic LDS owners again, I hope you think about “how can Larry is making money while you are complaining about an internet business? In addition, why are you here? We are on the internet you don’t like, aren't we?

I am not complaining about internet business per se. Larry as Scuba Toys began as a LDS, and still is an LDS. He is a full service dealer offering airfills, training and other local oriented support. You do not see equipment by ScubaPro, Seaquest, Aqualung and others with a "No Internet Sales" policy on his website. Most of Larrys prices could be matched by high volums shops if they wanted. Many smaller shop would be happy to meet or get close to those prices on those specific items rather than lose a sale to the internet. Most local shops would be very smart to add an internet presence to their offerings and pattern themselves after his business plan. He provides a great mix of offerings.

It is the true internet stores that are basically warehouses, selling gray market materials and violating dealer agreements that are a real problem. They take a huge amount of business away from legitimate dealers.

I see many posters on the internet vs. LDS flame wars who simply look at prices only and think the LDS is ripping them off. If only they would take time to think. If their own jobs could be outsourced to some internet guy for half price, they wouldn't be able to afford anything because they wouldn't be working.

I'm not saying we should support LDSs simply because the owner has a right to earn a living, even though anyone who owns a retail store does have a right to attempt to make a living at it. Many, many areas in this country are not blessed with having multiple dive shops within range of the general public. If the internet effectively puts the small local guys out of business, the only people who will be diving will be those who live in large population bases, or can afford to dive on vacation at diving destinations. The sport would wither. It might not die, but it would be much less available to many in the general public.

Many shops in smaller market areas struggle to survive, even without internet competition. The retail markup at most dive stores is no more than virtually any other specialty product, and generally much less than any gift, clothing, furniture, food and other items found at specialty stores. Most services offered by retail scuba shops pale when compared to other services. What is the hourly shop rate for any mechanic, electrical, plumbing, welding, legal, medical or other business... anywhere from 35 bucks an hour to hundreds of bucks and hour. When people go into a dive store to try on gear to buy on the internet they are using a service. I bet most dive stores would be happy to just charge a $30 an hour service charge for information and sell gear at cost if they could get it. They'd be way ahead of the game. Ain't ever gonna happen.

I don't own a retail dive store, but I have owned a retail business in the past and have a clue about the struggles most retail dive stores have. Not everyone has the wherewithall to put together a large Scubatoys type business (even their business took years to evolve into what it is today) from day one. That business, being in Dallas (a major metropolitan area) today, very well might not work in less populated areas.

There's lots more to this issue than most people seem to think of.

later,

Steve

Al Mialkovsky:
The internet shoppers? We fill their tanks of course, last. We repair their equipment, last and of course without discounts. We even will assemble their LP equipment for them and test it, for a price and of course they get to dive in our pool, if they pay.

We love them all, but we appreciate the loyal customers. :)

And what impression is someone left with when he pays the same $7 for his fill but is treated as a second class citizen? Does that draw them toward doing more business, or push them away?

lairdb:
And what impression is someone left with when he pays the same $7 for his fill but is treated as a second class citizen? Does that draw them toward doing more business, or push them away?

I totally agree! Since when is it the customer's job to "become loyal?" Isn't it up the the store to create customer loyalty. Treating me like I should be punished for not paying twice the price for a piece of gear is not going to acheive a loyalty status and IS going to cause me to start looking for a new shop. I see no problems with treating your money as just that....your money. I appreciate what my LDS does to keep my business, and that's his job as a good business person.

ththooft:
I totally agree! Since when is it the customer's job to "become loyal?" Isn't it up the the store to create customer loyalty. Treating me like I should be punished for not paying twice the price for a piece of gear is not going to acheive a loyalty status and IS going to cause me to start looking for a new shop. I see no problems with treating your money as just that....your money. I appreciate what my LDS does to keep my business, and that's his job as a good business person.

Where do you get this "twice the price" stuff? Can you give me some examples of somethings that you can get from an authorized dealer that cost twice as much at your LDS? You probably can come up with a few but I think that this is just a gross overgeneralization.

Stephen Ash:
Where do you get this "twice the price" stuff? Can you give me some examples of somethings that you can get from an authorized dealer that cost twice as much at your LDS? You probably can come up with a few but I think that this is just a gross overgeneralization.
Apeks regulators and Suunto computers for an example at a semi-local LDS.

Stephen Ash:

Last time I bought a new regulator (Mk20/S600 before Scubapro reduced it's MRRP) I paid $320 on the internet while LDS was well over $600. Perhaps, since internet competition forced Scubapro to lower its prices, such examples are not as common any more. But 50% more is still common.

ChikkenNoodul:
Apeks regulators and Suunto computers for an example at a semi-local LDS.

Where? What were the prices? I find it hard to believe that there is a big price difference on those items from authorized dealers. I use that stuff and I've never seen it.

awap:
Last time I bought a new regulator (Mk20/S600 before Scubapro reduced it's MRRP) I paid $320 on the internet while LDS was well over $600. Perhaps, since internet competition forced Scubapro to lower its prices, such examples are not as common any more. But 50% more is still common.

Where did you find a new scubapro reg at half price? That's wierd.

Stephen Ash:
Where did you find a new scubapro reg at half price? That's wierd.

Diveinn, an "authorized" dealer in Spain. Until SP USA really put the pressure on them, they were even selling parts at very reasonable prices. At that time, Leisure pro was selling them for about $425.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom