LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Where? What were the prices? I find it hard to believe that there is a big price difference on those items from authorized dealers. I use that stuff and I've never seen it.
Apeks ATX50 with DS4 1st stage can be had around $300 online, I've seen it for just shy of $600 in a store.

While not exactly twice the price, it's close enough to me.

ChikkenNoodul:
Apeks ATX50 with DS4 1st stage can be had around $300 online, I've seen it for just shy of $600 in a store.

While not exactly twice the price, it's close enough to me.

Where on line?

awall54308:
So is everything bought on line considered "Gray-market"?

At one time that was pretty much the case. More & more, the authorized dealers, both foreign and US, have an online business. Many manufacturer that prohibit online sales by US dealers are unable (or unwilling) to place those same restrictions on foreign authorized dealers. However, some of the foreign dealers will no longer ship (directly) to US customers.

awap:

Ah...Diveinn...very good. So this is an authorized dealer in Spain? I guess I'm just not an international kind a guy...I have considered Diveinn before...but to be honest, I'm not sure what I would be getting, I would wonder if the product would be exactly the same as a USA product, I'd be concerned...perhaps needlessly...over shipping and import stuff and I'd wonder if they would manage a warranty issue in the same way a US dealer would.

I suppose, before I bought from an authorized dealer in Spain, I would want to know the bottom line...how much including shipping and import fees. I would want to consider how much am I really saving when it comes to annual servicing...I get it free...actually I do my own but I do it at my shop with their parts kit all for no charge. I mean, can I send it back to Spain for a free annual? I don't think that I want them doing my annual anyways...I like to do it myself ...I wouldn't feel right buying a product out of the country to save a few bucks and then sneaking into the shop to do my overhaul.

And lastly, I might consider the fact that if my Spanish Apeks craps out and I need to send it back to Spain, am I going to be willing or able to wait for the return. Now I know that it is really unlikely that this Apeks would crap out on me and if it did I still got about a dozen in the closet to pull from But as it is now, if I have a part go south on me at the last minute, I know that I’m welcome to grab what I need from the shop until my warranted part is returned.

When I add it up, though at first the difference looks big, I don't think that I personally find it much of a savings. I think I'd rather pay a fair price to a local authorized dealer.

So the question still stands…though admittedly amended…Where can you purchase these items at half price…from an authorized US dealer?

Shipping was about $30 and customs never caught up with me. The Scubapro warrenty in international. However, the parts-for-life program is a US distributor thing seperate from the Scubapro warrenty. Many US LDSs treat foreign purchased regs the same as they treat leisure pro purchases. I'm also a DIYer so the warrenty is of no interest to me. My wife still dives the new stuff but I've gone to old SP metal regs that I get from ebay. I believe that is the most affordable way to go when you can do your own service.

For big price differences amoung US authorized dealers, you probably should look at scubatoys and the brands that do not restrict prices or sales means vs the small shop that is still trying to do business with a mid 90's business model.

Just a reminder to folks looking at those killer LP prices and then charging that the evil, greedy LDS is marking up their product outrageously...

LP is not an authorized dealer, they sell grey market products, and your fooling yourself if you think that you can compare products from LP with those at your LDS straight across. This is an apple to oranges kind of deal. Even if the product is exactly the same...and that's a big if...it is not an authorized part and is by definition not the same part at all. It does not come with the backing of the manufacturer; it will not be warranted by the manufacturer and does not come with the same support that comes with a part from an authorized dealer.

I'm not saying don't buy from places like this...just know what you're getting and what you're not. Don't be surprised that when your LP part breaks your only option is to return it to LP. They may fix it...ya, right...or replace it and if they no longer have that part they are going to send you something else...which may or may not be of equal value in your eyes. And don't blame the LDS that they can't get the part warranted. If you take it to them and have them send it in to the manufacturer, the manufacturer is going to charge full price to fix it and if it can't be fixed they will charge you full price for a new one.

So LDS aren't unreasonably marking up their product at all even though you can pay less on the grey market...wow, what a surprise.

"LP is not an authorized dealer, they sell grey market products, and your fooling yourself if you think that you can compare products from LP with those at your LDS straight across."

The reality is that most manufacuters are selling LP, one way or the other, LP sells first run products in original packaging. They have major overhead in Manhattan NY,
They cover warranty issues themselves when necessary. Other very good e-retailers
such as www.scubatoys.com, www.scuba.com, are fully authorized dealers for everything they sell. The old model of 100%-200%+ markup no longer works.

mdb:
"LP is not an authorized dealer, they sell grey market products, and your fooling yourself if you think that you can compare products from LP with those at your LDS straight across."

The reality is that most manufacuters are selling LP, one way or the other, LP sells first run products in original packaging. They have major overhead in Manhattan NY,
They cover warranty issues themselves when necessary. Other very good e-retailers
such as www.scubatoys.com, www.scuba.com, are fully authorized dealers for everything they sell. The old model of 100%-200%+ markup no longer works.

The reality is these are not the same products...they don't come with the same manufacturer's or LDS support. (Sometimes they're not even the same model as the LDS carries...they just appear to be the same.)

If you were buying a brand new Ford F 350 dually pickup, you'd expect to pay less for it if the salesman at Leisure Lot said, "Ford won't stand behind this truck 'cause we got from...well, I can't tell you where we got it...but we'll be here for ya if you have any problems. It's the same truck as at that high-priced authorized dealer down the road, but we're selling it at half of what they're selling it for." Well, of course, you realize that it is not the same truck without the manufacturer's backing and indeed, should sell for significantly less. It may be worth it to you to take the risk...if the price is low enough. But you can't say that these two trucks have the same value...they simply don't. Otherwise you be willing to pay the same for it with or without the Manufacturer's support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom