LDS pool and new equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I just purchased a new reg online (Black Friday sale, WOOOO) and want to get it underwater on a tank before a trip. It's brand new, never used. So they require a service tag before I can get in their pool, even for a brand new item, because I didn't purchase it from them? Is this common? My BS detector went off big time.

Thanks,

Haole Mike

I've heard of this one with the reason given being for insurance reasons, but I don't think anyone believes that? I could see offering free pool time to paying customers as a bonus incentive, and maybe charging a fee for pool time to others, or offering it free if they think it's in their interest to build goodwilll. But some LDSs have a habit of punishing people who buy gear online. (Selling gear _is_ how they make money, after all.) IMO more likely to chase people away than encourage other business from them, but it happens. You don't seem to hear this as much lately (maybe because too many LDSs have gone out of business?) .

Gypsy requires it before you go in their pool. They may charge $5 for it, but I think it's usually free since you are paying for pool time. Basically they just pop it on the bench, check the IP is stable and listen for leaks. Liability thing for them, not abnormal at all if the dive shop owns the pool

Seriously?

Why should they provide pool time at their expense so someone can try out gear they bought elsewhere?

I think that if you think about this you will find they are finding a way to say this without saying it. They are not being unreasonable.

FTR, I have bought both online and at multiple LDSs. I have an established relationship with one LDS that is based on both training and gear purchases. They also have a policy of not providing pool time to people who don't spend money with them. Seems fair to me.

As a business man myself I totally get and agree that all businesses must charge for services rendered....this is not an option if you want to stay in that business, period, end of story. However, it sure would seem like the "better" business practice would be to simply charge a fee to get in the pool and not worry too much about where somebody bought their gear. Instead of penalizing a potential customer for buying elsewhere, why not charge for the actual service rendered and have no room for misconceptions or arguments??? You don't get/keep customers by right off the bat upsetting them. Customers are like money in a sense...easy to get, hard to keep.
If using the pool is an issue then charge to use the pool, don't jack somebody for testing a brand new reg just because you didn't sell it. It would seem like the prudent thing to do is figure out why the guy didn't buy it from you in the first place, correct the issue if possible and maybe then the next one will.
Our LDS is fantastic and I really wish I could have bought all my gear from him. He may not be the nicest guy in the world, but I am pretty sure he is at least in the top five. I feel bad that I didn't get everything from him, but two of the brands I wanted he is not a dealer for. He has never mentioned or implied any issue about it at all. The result??? I send everyone I possibly can to him and I buy every thing I possibly can from him. Now, if he required me to have the fins I bought elsewhere "inspected" before I came into the store....the last item I bought from him would indeed be the last item I bought {from him}.

Last edited:
I recently was asked to pay for pool time from an LDS that I bought my Perdix from. I may shop elsewhere in the future.

Cheers - M²

I recently was asked to pay for pool time from an LDS that I bought my Perdix from. I may shop elsewhere in the future.

Cheers - M²

I understand, and therein lies that double edged sword of business.....the customer is not always right...but they typically think they are, especially when they dream up entitlements. The pool cost money and so does the computer. I have to make money or I cannot offer you both. If buying one item "entitles" you in your own mind to something else free and you want to leave because of it then okay. Maybe you will come back one day. I am not your problem...I am just a businessman.

good riddance
Fair enough. That's why they are called discretionary dollars. I can spend them at my discretion.
especially when they dream up entitlements
I don't feel that I am entitled to the use of their pool, however, a little bit of customer "appreciation" goes a long way in word-of-mouth advertising AND the customer comes back to buy the high margin toys for their next trip. OR NOT.

Cheers - M²

I don't feel that I am entitled to the use of their pool, however, a little bit of customer "appreciation" goes a long way in word-of-mouth advertising AND the customer comes back to buy the high margin toys for their next trip. OR NOT.

Cheers - M²

You don't feel like you are entitled???...but you are going to leave because of it???? Okay.
My experience with customer appreciation is usually skewed way to one side, this is a perfect example; as long as I continue to give you something for free you will "put out the good word".....the second I stop you leave and no doubt put out the bad word. Way too one sided for me to go along with. I have to charge for everything I provide, or close down as we have seen many shops do.
Customer appreciation???? Do I not get any in return just for reasonably providing a pool or a dive shop close by????? or do I have to always give it away????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom