LDS Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deeplou,
Please read the entire thread. Both places were dive shops. My point was I hadn't bought from the web and there was still a big difference.

DEEPLOU:
It's a tough market I feel I have been fair with everyone. If the dive shop I started with can't compete with other dive shops so be it. I don't feel I have short changed them by shopping the net.

HOw much does that shop on the net charge for air fills??

Be careful most "net shops" use their "own" warranty. The mfg has nothing to do with them. Their goods are often time grey market, seconds etc.
BTW: who u gonna get to service those things?

DEEPLOU:
It's a tough market I feel I have been fair with everyone. If the dive shop I started with can't compete with other dive shops so be it. I don't feel I have short changed them by shopping the net.

HOw much does that shop on the net charge for air fills??

Be careful most "net shops" use their "own" warranty. The mfg has nothing to do with them. Their goods are often time grey market, seconds etc.
BTW: who u gonna get to service those things?

Thank you for saying "most" not all... There are some net sellers with full manufacturers warranty...

I think that some of you need a little retail business education.
First of all you should understand that a business sells it's products for a profit. How much profit each item sells for is up to the dive shop owner/mgr. For example if I walk into the shop and negotiate a lower price for a BC than what you paid for it the week before is non of your business, period. AND that is NORMAL business practice.
How much a product is marked up from cost IS NON OF YOUR BUSINESS. The only thing that you have any concern over is if your happy with the price you are paying, and that is all. The fact that L.P. will sell a product for a few bucks over its cost DOESN'T mean that your LDS is charging too much when there is a several hundred dollar disparity.
You simply cannot compare mail order and internet sales to a LDS, when you try to you are showing your ignorance of how a small business owner must operate his business. Don't do it you make yourselves look stupid.-M

So I guess I shouldn't be researching invoice prices and recent sales for cars before going to the dealer heh?

Its attitudes like this that LDS get such a bad rap. I'd say a few more choice words but I don't feel like getting censored today.

Car sales and and an LDS have nothing in common. Wholesale pricing is and should be CONFIDENTIAL. What an item is marked up is not the consumers business and is usually kept that way, confidential. It's a capitalistic society so shop until you drop. BUT the amercian consumer is single handedly destroying the economy. It's not about getting the lowest price, but the best value. Yes try to get the best price but get it from a LDS that you support and if you pay a little more so what.

I just bought the Seaquest Pro QD+ SL for $449 at my LDS during their yearly sale. You need to shop around, and shouldn't be afraid to ask for a discount. Usually dealing with the store owner will get you a better deal than a salesman, who might not know how much leeway there is in the markup. I don't mind paying a bit more for the ability to go somewhere local if I have a problem with the unit. Plus, I bought an Atomic SS1, and they hooked it up to the BC inflator hose for free. If you're an exprienced diver and comfortable doing some work on your own equipment, then service may not be a big deal, and you can buy off the net. If you want service, expect to pay a little extra for it.

Michael Schlink:
Car sales and and an LDS have nothing in common. Wholesale pricing is and should be CONFIDENTIAL. What an item is marked up is not the consumers business and is usually kept that way, confidential. It's a capitalistic society so shop until you drop. BUT the amercian consumer is single handedly destroying the economy. It's not about getting the lowest price, but the best value. Yes try to get the best price but get it from a LDS that you support and if you pay a little more so what.

Wow, you are so far out there it isn't even funny.

Michael Schlink:
BUT the amercian consumer is single handedly destroying the economy.

Stupid consumers, always trying to get quality merchandise AND fair pricing...very detrimental to the capitalist system.

Are you perhaps using 32% bong air in your mix?

Michael Schlink:
Don't do it you make yourselves look stupid.-M

jeeez.... someone got off the wrong bed this morning

:wink:

Texasdave here,

People pay attention these were both DIVE SHOPS. I was just mystified that there could be such a difference in prices.
I don't really care what there mark up is. I wasn't internet shopping. Okay a littel guilty about going to another shop.
Just curious as a new diver why such a spread in the dive
shops. If this is normal among the shops then I just need to be a little more particular about which LDS I chose.

Back
Top Bottom