LDS Support or Mfg's strike back at online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I just got my march issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving and on page 40 there is a full page add layout, It goes like this

Support your Local Dive Retailer

Pic of happy dive store owner selling new dive gear to touristy looking Fam of three. (They don't look near as happy as the dealer)

Tag line under the pic goes like this:
Did you Know? Only AUTHORIZED SCUBA RETAILERS Can provide Serivce and Parts on the Gear they Sell You.

Under this they have:
Brought to you by: Then small Mfg's logo's for DUI, Atomics, Sea&Sea, Genesis, Sherwood, Akona, Tusa and a few others.

It appears that the Scuba Mfg's are trying to fight back against the so called Grey market or online dealers.

GeekDiver:
Did you Know? Only AUTHORIZED SCUBA RETAILERS Can provide Serivce and Parts on the Gear they Sell You.
QUOTE]

Wasn't there a thread somewhere around here about an LDS saying they couldn't service gear purchased somewhere else?

GeekDiver:
It appears that the Scuba Mfg's are trying to fight back against the so called Grey market or online dealers.

I think they have been doing this for a long time, perhaps they are just advertising the fact more. I think the fact of the matter is that almost any LDS will service gear it has service agreements with, but will not offer warranty service on any gear that was not purchased through them. In other words, if you are willing to pay for it, the service will be provided.

Genesis

Rodales will run anything in there mag as long as you pay them enough money to do so, i mean like anything, you can get anything done or acquired for a price

FWIW

Actually Genesis, Sherwood and Akona can all be sold on line. They are all distributed by Crammer and Decker who does allow online sales. They do have some restrictions on ADVERTISED price though as I recall.

MikeFerrara:
Actually Genesis, Sherwood and Akona can all be sold on line. They are all distributed by Crammer and Decker who does allow online sales. They do have some restrictions on ADVERTISED price though as I recall.

Crammer and Decker were one of the "distributors" I spoke with last year; they are part of the problem.

The restriction is not only on ADVERTISED prices.

Genesis:
Crammer and Decker were one of the "distributors" I spoke with last year; they are part of the problem.

The restriction is not only on ADVERTISED prices.

Yes they are. Boy could I tell stories.

MikeFerrara:
Yes they are. Boy could I tell stories.

Don't mistake selective enforcement for a written policy.

In many ways selective enforcement is actually worse, although it does open up a convenient means for someone who is on the "wrong" side of it to get some flesh back if they hire a landshark.

The crammer and decker sales rep is the first rep who tried lecture me on how to teach to sell more of his equipment. He also threatened to pull our dealership every time he was in the store because he saw too much stuff from other companies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom