lead ingot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Celt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Anyone ever see an ingot like this, shaped lead half ton weight. found it with a stone cannon ball.

Attachments

• lead.jpeg
    lead.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 90
  • stone shot.jpeg
    stone shot.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 109
looks like the bottom plate of a boat skeg, maybe.

I haven't seen myself but I would guess keel ballast for a sailing vessel.

Stone cannonballs eye fitness on the Atocha and the DeLuna wrecks in Pensacola Bay. The Pensacola expedition was 1559 I believe.

Were the two find associated with each other?

does the lead have nay marking on it that would indicate it was poured insitu i e bottom of a keel or hull

I haven't seen myself but I would guess keel ballast for a sailing vessel.

Stone cannonballs eye fitness on the Atocha and the DeLuna wrecks in Pensacola Bay. The Pensacola expedition was 1559 I believe.

Were the two find associated with each other?
Both together,

does the lead have nay marking on it that would indicate it was poured insitu i e bottom of a keel or hull
There's a hole on both ends, like large pins were used to hold it in place, did old sailing ships use lead ballast inside?

lead boat ballast I lean towards ballast- it is usually removable to offset cargo loads and its crucial to hold it in place -a shifting ballast has been the demise of many a ship
Unknown.jpeg
images.jpeg
images-1.jpeg

When I first started diving 34 years ago, I was perplexed by the number of house bricks I found well away from the shore. Finally I figured it out, people were putting bricks inside fish/carb/cray traps as ballast and these were lost ones, the wire cage having rusted away. Perhaps something like that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom