Leaking Recsea Housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod,

Thanks for posting this. I had similar concerns way back when I had a Canon Housing on a 10bar tray/flex arm. The tray was just a 3mm (1/8") thick aluminum bar with slots. There was a small angle on one edge that was about 6mm tall that would fit in behind the door. It would flex easily on even a lightweight set up. There was a 1/4'' spacer on the single tripod screw so that isolated the housing from flexing with the tray. I could not see this used for a housing with two screw mounts. Never had an issue with it since I was very conscious of the angled bit resting on the camera door. Still, it did make me a little nervous.

The Serfas grips are the same ones used on the ULCS ones. Is that a DIY ball/handle assembly?

I thought I was looking at a ULCS handle. : )

Nemrod,

Thanks for posting this. I had similar concerns way back when I had a Canon Housing on a 10bar tray/flex arm. The tray was just a 3mm (1/8") thick aluminum bar with slots. There was a small angle on one edge that was about 6mm tall that would fit in behind the door. It would flex easily on even a lightweight set up. There was a 1/4'' spacer on the single tripod screw so that isolated the housing from flexing with the tray. I could not see this used for a housing with two screw mounts. Never had an issue with it since I was very conscious of the angled bit resting on the camera door. Still, it did make me a little nervous.

The Serfas grips are the same ones used on the ULCS ones. Is that a DIY ball/handle assembly?

I thought I was looking at a ULCS handle. : )

One grip is and the other is a copy I made.

I don't want to make a big deal over tray/housing flex, it can cause a leak but I was more concerned with the door riding on the structure and being pushed by the tray when it flexed or not allowing it to seat naturally as pressure (from the water) is applied.

Single point attachments are not as strong when it comes to holding heavy accessories but probably less likely to flex from the tray being torqued perhaps than twin screw types--maybe. Notice if you will on Canon or Oly housings outfitted with the Inon kits that the Inon bracket holds most of the accessory lens weight, not the housing and converts to two screws for mounting to the tray. Anyways, I was just trying to show some things that had initially concerned me about this particular housing and some common accessory trays.

If somebody wants more details on the tray I can give them, maybe start a new thread on DIY stuff etc.

Returning this channel to the OP so we can get back to helping him out.

N

Dive-boarder

I'm sorry to hear about your camera flood. I hope you hear back soon about the status of your housing. It is quite understandable to be frustrated and angry after a trip-ruining flood.

I have dove with hundreds of underwater photographers, and I have seen many floods. Some have been in $100 housings, and others in housing from Subal or Seacam that cost over $5,000. I alwys recommend to people that they buy flood insurance. We have a saying here in California, "It's not a matter of if, but when".

I've also sold many Recsea housings and have not yet heard of a flood or housing defect. That does not mean your housing doesn't have one, but it is best not to jump to conclusions until someone has examined your housing.

There are some exceptions, like Ikelite, but in most cases you will be communicating with your dealer regarding the status of the housing, not the manufacturer. From a dealer perspective, Recsea is great to work with and if there are any issues found with your housing I am sure that they will replace it. I'll also check with them to see if they are aware of your particular issue.

Scott

Thanks again to everyone for your help!!

I finally have a half decent WiFi connection, so hopefully can post this reply.. it took over two hours to post each thread so far!!

Anyway.. an update.. NO email from Plongimage or RecSea to date.. very deflating!!

However, I read with interest what was said here about trays possibly causing problems. I took my housing into CamerasUnderwater in London and was sold my set up by the manager. I have never owned a tray before, so I hoped I was taking good advice. If it is 'common knowledge' that flexing/pressure from tray may cause a leak is it naive of me to have hoped that the dealer might have mentioned it? They didn't.

However, have now dry tested the housing WITHOUT the tray SIX times (no camera) and it has NOT leaked (20 to 40m). Today I tested it with (broken camera) to 30 and 20m - NO flood. I still have not done anything to the O'ring wrt greasing etc (it is the same O'ring installed when the hosing leaked). So the housing has only ever leaked when connected to my tray, and not when used on its own. Does this mean that the tray is the problem?? Would the experienced amongst you have enough faith to try again with another camera??

I am off to Manila in a few days, so will certainly check out the places that you have mentioned there.. especially the Fisheye dealer. At least I can get another S95!!

Apologies if I have appeared a little ignorant to what might seem obvious to a lot of you on this forum, but again please note that whilst keen I would not consider myself an expert in anything photographic. Like anything else in diving, it is obvious only when someone has told/shown you! I hoped I had taken sound advice from experienced retailers. I also have not been able to Google unfamiliar terms because of the poor internet connection here!

On a lighter note, our last dive on Sipadan today was spent with approx. 100 bumphead parrot fish, turtles, grey and white tip sharks, a school of bat fish, tuna and a giant trevally!!!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the diving despite the frustrations with the leaks and damaged cameras.

Thanks for the update. It is very interesting that you are not getting any leaks without the tray. Given that you have test dived it six/seven times without leaking may be an indication that perhaps you may have been installing the tray in such a manner as to stress the housing in an unusual way.

I hope your investigations result in your not having to buy another housing and that it was simply "operator error'' and you can have your confidence in the housing restored.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!!

I finally have a half decent WiFi connection, so hopefully can post this reply.. it took over two hours to post each thread so far!!

Anyway.. an update.. NO email from Plongimage or RecSea to date.. very deflating!!

However, I read with interest what was said here about trays possibly causing problems. I took my housing into CamerasUnderwater in London and was sold my set up by the manager. I have never owned a tray before, so I hoped I was taking good advice. If it is 'common knowledge' that flexing/pressure from tray may cause a leak is it naive of me to have hoped that the dealer might have mentioned it? They didn't.

However, have now dry tested the housing WITHOUT the tray SIX times (no camera) and it has NOT leaked (20 to 40m). Today I tested it with (broken camera) to 30 and 20m - NO flood. I still have not done anything to the O'ring wrt greasing etc (it is the same O'ring installed when the hosing leaked). So the housing has only ever leaked when connected to my tray, and not when used on its own. Does this mean that the tray is the problem?? Would the experienced amongst you have enough faith to try again with another camera??

I am off to Manila in a few days, so will certainly check out the places that you have mentioned there.. especially the Fisheye dealer. At least I can get another S95!!

Apologies if I have appeared a little ignorant to what might seem obvious to a lot of you on this forum, but again please note that whilst keen I would not consider myself an expert in anything photographic. Like anything else in diving, it is obvious only when someone has told/shown you! I hoped I had taken sound advice from experienced retailers. I also have not been able to Google unfamiliar terms because of the poor internet connection here!

On a lighter note, our last dive on Sipadan today was spent with approx. 100 bumphead parrot fish, turtles, grey and white tip sharks, a school of bat fish, tuna and a giant trevally!!!
Hey Scotty,

I am wondering if the problem lies in the fact that with the Recsea people over torque the screws that hold the housing to the tray? Your coworker who spoke with me on the phone today warned me about over doing it and wearing out the the plastic washers that come with the ultralight arm and tray kit. However, he did not mention distorting the tray if over torqued.

As an engineer I would expect some distortion on the bottom of the housing if the 2 screws are too tight when screwed into the tray. (Too tight is obviously subjective). However, people may want to tighten those two screws down going from one to the other and back again (like putting the lugnuts on a car). This both balances the the torque and ensures that the housing is evenly flush with the tray. The ultralight tray I ordered seems to be really rigid. So my thought is that it is not the tray that is being distorted but rather the bottom of the housing since it is thinner an thus subject to physical changes when the screws are tightened and drawn up into the bottom of the housing.

I am curious as to whether or not the leak is coming from some other place with all the penetrations (and the manipulations that go with it) that the housing has. An o-ring not set quite right by the manufacturing/assembly process in one of the other penetrations can be also be aggravated by distortion in the housing. Just a thought.

On another note:
I do like the idea of another set of handles that are shown in the previous entry's photos. I can attach a neck loop to help keep the camera close to my body and help avoid the reef rash on the wide angle lens you sent me. I still would like to develop a neoprene cover that goes on and comes over over the large lens so that I can get a shot off readily. Perhaps a lanyard to allow me not to worry about losing it and a loop sewed on the front of the neoprene to pop it off quickly? Anyone know a good seamstress into neoprene?

Steve C

Yesterday I took my housing into Splash Undewater Photography in Manila, and spoke to Jovic Santos the owner. What a fantastic help this man was! He spent over an hour going over my system and generally chatting. I have left the housing with him for pressure testing. I also met a Pro photographer by the name of Steve De Neef. The concensus of opinion seemed to be that the tray supplied by Cameras Underwater in London is the most probable cause of the problem. I have replaced the tray at Jovic's Suggestion. Just have to pop back in tomorrow for the results!! Fingers crossed!

When I suggested the tray as a possible culprit at some point in my several posts I stated that I did not want to over do the idea that it was the tray or that trays commonly cause leaks on a regular basis. I just simply know that in some cases it can be a cause and one that is perhaps not so obvious and over looked.

The mention of "over torque" on the mounting screws is something I neglected to add to my discussion on trays and yes it is entirely possible to deform a housing by over torque of mounting screws especially on the dual point attach types (or did I mention this?) if they are being torqued on to a slightly uneven surface. I was also suspect of rubbing or other, seemingly minor interference with the door.

I attach my trays finger tight, I do not wrench them down, I do not use a wrench or other mechanical leverage to tighten the screws, simply finger tight and then snugged.

However, I still suspect the rear door O-ring is the culprit either due to user error and the fact the second leak occurred without replacing the door O ring with the spare. Again, that O ring is highly suspect if indeed it was clean, not twisted during installation. Now, back on the trays, glad to see others are taking this serious as a possible cause.

I really hope it turns out there was no manufacturing flaw in the housing, it's various controls, port connection etc as this would have more wide implications. Control glands do leak, ports do leak but in the larger picture, it really is user error or misuse/misapplication of some accessory or other abuse however unintentional by the new owner.

Good luck, please do enjoy your trip and I hope you do keep us all posted as to the final results --which I sincerely hope are good for you.

James

Back
Top Bottom