Leaky Mares Pure Vision mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my Mares Pure Vision mask, i picked it up this Saturday and went snorkeling. At first i didnt notice any issues, but very shortly later i found that water was leaking in to my nose compartment. At first i was barely noticeable but as i played around with the straps, and trying to suck the mask to my face underwater or trying to exhale out my nose a little bit to put more air in to the mask the leak in my nose area got really bad, i was able to ignore it for the most part and i had to constantly surface, pull the mask from my face and empty it out.

Sunday i noticed that one side of the strap was pulled much tighter, so before i entered the water i adjusted both sides of my mask to equal length, then proceeded to tighten the mask so if felt snug. Then my new leak started, i very tiny trickle seemed to find its self in my eye areas, again i cleared the mask on the surface sucked it to my face with my nose and put my head underwater, and it still leaked :(

the max depth i ever went might have been 16 feel straight down dive to check our mooring and i spent most of the day in the water, sometime for 2 or 3 hours at a time, which made clearing that mask really annoying. At first i thought it was due to my small goatee, which was only a weeks growth, but i shaved it off and it still leaked in my nose area and when i would put the mask under water i notice a small build up of water in my eye area.

I am very new to everything scuba and snorkeling I plan on taking my mask down to our local dive shop tomorrow if i can find the time, but i was just wondering if anyone else had these problems, or if there is something i could look for to spot if this mask is defective.

one thing i did notice is the adjusters on the side of the mask with the 2 button locking system, the right side seem to let go or slowly unclick as i swam around.

my buddy thought it was because we had been in the water so much, and i guess putting a mask on that long might be a good stress test but in my opinion these masks should hold their seal for hours and should not have a time limit on them considering i spent $85 on this mask, which was on sale!
I gave him my old mask because it was to small for my face, and his never leaked on him once, and he even has a mustache ( not a super long one but well over a months growth neatly trimmed )

anyways, thanks for all you help!

Chris,

Did you check to see if the mask seals properly to your face before you bought it? A mask should be tested to make sure the seal is correctly fitted for your face. The steps to testing the seal on your mask are done by lightly holding the mask up to your face with the mask strap completely out of the way and not used. While holding the mask up to your face, inhale sharply through the nose. The mask skirt should should compress to your face if it is getting a good seal. It does not matter how much money you pay for a mask. If it does not get a good seal when you try the above test, it is most likely going to leak when you use it. One last thing, you do not want to have to pull a mask strap super tight as you always want to be able to crack the mask seal in case you ever needed to clear your mask while underwater. Also the deeper you go, the more water pressure will want to "press" the mask seal towards your face. In theory, you should get a better seal at deeper depths.

Hope that helps.

Kfilly

as the clips are built into the side skirts and not the frame, some ppl have found that they leak.

I bought the same mask a few years ago and kept in in my dive bag as a spare. I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it leaks like a sieve. Not much I can about it now except donate it to a dive guide on my next trip to Indonesia.

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my Mares Pure Vision mask, i picked it up this Saturday and went snorkeling. At first i didnt notice any issues, but very shortly later i found that water was leaking in to my nose compartment. At first i was barely noticeable but as i played around with the straps, and trying to suck the mask to my face underwater or trying to exhale out my nose a little bit to put more air in to the mask the leak in my nose area got really bad, i was able to ignore it for the most part and i had to constantly surface, pull the mask from my face and empty it out.

Sunday i noticed that one side of the strap was pulled much tighter, so before i entered the water i adjusted both sides of my mask to equal length, then proceeded to tighten the mask so if felt snug. Then my new leak started, i very tiny trickle seemed to find its self in my eye areas, again i cleared the mask on the surface sucked it to my face with my nose and put my head underwater, and it still leaked :(

the max depth i ever went might have been 16 feel straight down dive to check our mooring and i spent most of the day in the water, sometime for 2 or 3 hours at a time, which made clearing that mask really annoying. At first i thought it was due to my small goatee, which was only a weeks growth, but i shaved it off and it still leaked in my nose area and when i would put the mask under water i notice a small build up of water in my eye area.

I am very new to everything scuba and snorkeling I plan on taking my mask down to our local dive shop tomorrow if i can find the time, but i was just wondering if anyone else had these problems, or if there is something i could look for to spot if this mask is defective.

one thing i did notice is the adjusters on the side of the mask with the 2 button locking system, the right side seem to let go or slowly unclick as i swam around.

my buddy thought it was because we had been in the water so much, and i guess putting a mask on that long might be a good stress test but in my opinion these masks should hold their seal for hours and should not have a time limit on them considering i spent $85 on this mask, which was on sale!
I gave him my old mask because it was to small for my face, and his never leaked on him once, and he even has a mustache ( not a super long one but well over a months growth neatly trimmed )

anyways, thanks for all you help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom