Leaky mask dilemma. Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim--From all the smart aleck responses you can just tell most folks don't encounter this problem--but I do. I'm 8 masks down the road now; a few have been ok, most haven't been (my Atomic Sub-Frame has been the least leaky). Anyway, the idea of trying lots of masks in the shop w/ a reg mouthpiece in place allowed me to determine that lots of masks would work, at least as long as I stayed in the store and didn't go underwater w/ them. Even the best fitting mask in the store would leak on me uw. Oh and I did try the silcone goop solution but can't say as it really worked.

So, new tactic. I changed mouthpieces on my reg and went to a SeaCure custom fit mouthpiece. I reasoned it was the one variable I hadn't messed with and possibly it wouldn't push my mouth area out quite as much. Alas, I just did this and haven't been in the water w/ it yet but I head out next week for 2 wks so I'll find out for sure if it helps. Will post something if it does work. Meanwhile, good luck--I mean how the heck are you supposed to not smile while diving, close your eyes?? // ww

That's an idea. Thanks.

Let us know. One thing I know for certain, the masks perform better putting the reg in my mouth first then fitting the mask. (or pulling off under water and replacing it.)

I also have the Atomic Frameless, actually two of them. It fit great in the store and in cold water, but the first warm water dive I did it was leaking. It took me a few dives to figure out that I had to push it up higher on my face so it was touching my nose (if that makes any sense). Leaks stopped immediately.

It will also leak if I smile (not much too smile about diving cold in Canada) but pushing it up stops it.

My GF got the same mask and had the same problem which was resolved in the same way.

YMMV. Good luck.

It will also leak if I smile (not much too smile about diving cold in Canada) but pushing it up stops it.

Hey, I saw a sleeping Giant Pacific octopus yesterday! That was worth smiling over.

Funnily enough, I was drop-in-buddied with a guy from Regina who decided "Hey, enough with all this fresh water lake diving -- I want to see what Ogden Point is like."

... I was drop-in-buddied with a guy from Regina who decided "Hey, enough with all this fresh water lake diving -- I want to see what Ogden Point is like."

Hey? What's wrong with Regina diving? Lots to see. Rocks, crayfish, minnows, ummm, other divers, ummmm, sand, ummmm, a toilet, a car and a sign.

:wink: I'm coming to Port Hardy in September. I wonder if it'll be different from Regina's fine shores.

I have a HUGE head . . . broad face with cheekbones. Hard to get a mask to fit properly. I did the same thing already mentioned with the mouthpiece swap - helped quite a bit. I also have an aqualung infinity mask which has a good size skirt. Finally I had to really tweak the straps - too tight, leak . . too loose, leak. Hit nirvana until I switched back to cold water and a hood . . . UGH . . . The good news - I am AWESOME at clearing a mask.

Good luck.

I have smile lines and every mask leaked, until I got an Oceanic Shadow. I'm not saying this will work for you, but it does for me. Plus, it's easy to bring a spare shadow along with you.

I had the same problem and wet through four or five masks before I found one that really worked well. This is my current mask Sea Elite Panoramic 2-Lens Mask at Divers-Supply.com. It has a wide skirt that helps a lot.

A couple of other tricks I found along the way is that the position of the strap is important. High on the back of my head works for me. Also not holding the reg too tightly with my mouth,that is gauranteed to make a mask leak.

not quite there yet, but I have heard that using your hands to smooth out the laugh lines helps a lot.

I am a new diver and I have the same problem. Laugh lines.... However I am female. Experienced divers on this site told me to use TUSA because they have a better silicone....

Back
Top Bottom