Learn me about USIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've started to look into a drysuit as I'm getting to the point where I am frequently blowing bubbles under 100ft of water, and it's cold down there!

Being from San Diego, the go-to option is of course DUI. But I've been looking at other brands, namely Scubapro and Bare. I was perusing DRIS' site and I noticed that they sell drysuits from USIA, and they offer a lifetime seal warranty. Seeing the trials and tribulations that local drysuit divers have had with their seals, this is quite attractive; they also handily beat DUI's price point.

However, I don't really see any reviews of the company, either from a product or customer service standpoint. Does anybody have experience with their products? Are we talking underpriced brilliance or another case of 'you get what you pay for'?

Last edited:
You know I have been wondering the same thing. Their website has been undergoing a lot of maintenance and as such very little info is available. They do have a facebook page. To which I have received prompt answers to some questions. But I would really like to see more of what they offer as options. And that info just isn't available on their website right now. I understand they make a great product. But without being to explore their product further I'm not willing to plunk down cash on a new drysuit from them. Bruce

https://www.facebook.com/pages/USIA-Underwater-Equipment-Sales/104913044624

I went to their website and could not get the rec section to load. All I have so far in terms of info about their product is that they're made in the US. That and what's on DRIS, of course. One thing I have noticed after looking at the facebook page is that all of the people are wearing incredibly baggy suits. I think they'll be at DEMA this year...perhaps somebody who is attending could get some more into?

They’re based out of St. Helens Oregon (just outside of Portland). They are popular suits amongst sherif search & rescue teams across the country as well as several branches of the military, including some seal teams. I’ve had my suit for ~10 years now, the one prior to that for ~5. The original one I sold to someone who is still diving it today and mine is working perfectly fine. I just had it retrofitted with zip seals all around, a p-valve, and some loops in the combat pockets I already had on it. They are also popular amongst student and staff at Eugene Skin Divers Supply (where I used to teach) which is probably the busiest dive center in Oregon and has been around for 55+ years. If I were in the market to buy a new suit, it would be a USIA.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Interesting though about the site not working, if I see them at DEMA and it’s still not working right, I’ll let them know and/or see what’s up.

Yeah, I checked the site right before I posted. It comes up, but the links on the pages to what ever item you are interested in don't respond. So no details are available. Which is a real bummer because they have some cool pics of their stuff on their facebook page. But no details with those pics. B.

I have a ten year old custom USIA and I have had no problem to speak of.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

USIA has been around for years. Most of their business is done through government contracts - military, local government, etc. I have a rebranded USIA suit. About a month after getting it I had to reinforce the boot to leg seam because it started leaking. This has happened to me with other suits though so I wasn't too surprised. The pockets didn't last very long and I had to reinforce the bottom because they basically tore up. Again, not a big deal. The rest of the suit seems to be made pretty solid. I haven't had an leaks with it.

That being said, it is extremely baggy. I ordered my size per the size chart, and while most of the measurements do fit, even with a 400 gr undergarment, I can fit another one of me in the suit. I'm now diving a crushed neoprene suit that is much more form fitting, swims similar to a wetsuit because of this, and keeps me warmer with minimal undergarments. Best thing is my new dry suit cost less than $1000. Just about a year with it and over 150 dives in it and no issues.

You can also check out reviews of the HOG drysuit as it is a rebranded USIA techniflex.

From what I know -- they're bilaminate suits, which are less expensive to manufacture but are more susceptible to damage. They aren't very tailored, which again makes manufacture easier and less expensive. They're VERY well priced (and I love some of the fabric patterns).

There are actually quite a few options in the lower range for dry suits -- the ScubaPro Everflex, if you fit it and aren't doing too much deep diving; the USIA suits/HOG suits, the Fusion One back zip . . . and of course, used suits, which often sell for peanuts, particularly if they need some minor DIY work like seal replacement. (And realize that, even if you have to PAY for seal replacement, it's only going to increase the price of a suit by at most a couple hundred dollars, which can still make a used suit a bargain.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom