Learn Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vietnow

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a advance scuba diver in the fort lauderdale area and got interested now in learning how to spearfish I been doing some beach dives and wanted to learn how to spearfish. What gun should I get? Is there a class I can take? any help would be appreciated.

There is a very good course coming up in Ft Lauderdale the first week in October, with Sheri Daye and Daryl Wong instructing. It's for freedivers though. Much of the information would be similar. Basic Spearfishing Performance Freediving

I can't say about a class for spearfishing on scuba specifically in the Ft Laud area.

Sheri Daye also runs The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar & Expo every year as well, in the same area. At IGFA in Dania Bch the last 3 years. 2010 should be around the same time next year. There are many scuba seminars as well as freediving there. The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar and Expo

There are a lot of good speargun brands, depending your budget, fish to target, boat etc.
Get one that's at least 48" for offshore in SE FL, 52" to 57" is even better for clear water areas.

Chad

My personal advice is to get a poke pole to learn stalking techniques and really learn fish ID. The nice, color pics in the books generally do not translate underwater. I used a poke pole for about 8 months and slayed the porgies and flounder. Then I bought a 52" Spearfishing Specialities once I got comfortable underwater with the added task load. Plus a poke pole is a cheaper investment vs. a gun. That being said, can't go wrong with a JBL or Biller to start out with. And do whatever Chad says, he know's his stuff. Check out Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin for more spearing specific Q's. There's a lot of spearo's in your area.

What Chad said is great info, The spearfishing course cannot be done unless you first take the "Intermediate" freedive course, then you can take the "spearfishing" one with Sheri and Daryl. Im taking it in October and it will be the best money ive spent because of all the things you learn especially the safety parts. I mainly scuba spear but want to become a better diver all around and this is part of that journey and gives me the solid ground to start doing some great freediving adventures.
Buy a good speargun, dont bother with a piece of junk you will eventually sell, a Deathstick, Riffe or Biller is a good gun depending on your price you want to buy. Learn in a pool how to properly load it (never on dry land or boat) learn how to shoot lift bags/sausages with things on them. Buy a few yellow/red safety sausages at your LDS, carry a few 12inch strong zip ties in your bc pocket or werever is best, in a pool at the deepest end learn to load and unload your gun, when unloaded place your arm through the rubbers to hold your gun next to you, then pull out a zip tie and a safety sausage, learn to make a loop in the zip tie (same for when you put it through the fishes gills and out the mouth) clip the sausage to the zip tie, blow air into the sausage and send fish to the surface, reload gun and continue.
This is of course if you have someone who can recover your fish on a boat, if not simply buy a stringer and learn to string the fish either through the gills or through the eye's before you take it off the shaft and then close the stringer and pull out the shaft and continue. You will learn to brain the fish to kill it so it is not thrashing around, keep a knife handy, I like mine on my left arm upside down to reach it quickly and also one on my web harness. Remember to breath nicely the whole time and not get to over excited, with time and prcatice it will become easier, hope this helps.

Thanks D-VI & B-1,

I agree learning to freedive will make you a better scuba diver as well as improve your spearfishing.

Chad

well the problem with freedive is one I dont have a boat and second I cant hold my air that long.

practice can help a lot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom