Learned Some Lessons Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of things I have learned. If you are going to clip your reg to your DRing practice finding it and clipping it on and off so you can do it quickly without looking. Practice finding the bungied reg as well. It never seems to be right where I think it will be.

However, I completely agree with bill - reg stays in my hand or my mouth when I am anywhere near water - even on a couple of hundred yard swim. On a boat way to easy to slip and fall off, on a shore entry or exit you can slip and fall on rocks, in water waves, boats etc, getting back on the boat slipping off the ladder into the water. DRing is for storage when breathing from some other reg or on shore. Others may disagree, but that is my habit now.

Glad it worked out.

I have a feeling it will be my habit from now on too!

I also have come to understand the power of water. Glad to hear you came through ok both mentally and physically. A couple of ideas to make future dives more enjoyable:

1- ALWAYS keep your regulator in your mouth until you are solidly on terra firma. I only do shore dives infrequently but this is standard practice for climbing aboard dive boats also. What if you were knocked off the boat ladder? Most people keep their reg in until they are firmly on board.

2- Ask the lifeguards if conditions are likely to change during the course of your dive. It is a good bet that they have a good feel for the local tides, currents, and weather. They might have some idea, they may not. It costs you nothing to ask.

Safe diving!

It sounds like a scary experience, I'm glad it ended well for you.

One thing that has not already been mentioned is the importance of having the bolt snap on an effective quick release. A suitably sized o ring poked through the end of the bolt snap, then double over the hose before it's connected to the reg will allow you to clip it off as needed and also rip it free if you have to have it right now.

+1 on leaving the mask on and reg in until you are well clear of the water.

Oh, I can see how the mask hanging below your chin would interfere. I have had several occasions when I ended up underwater unexpectedly, and I have found and used my backup reg each time without problems. But I keep my mask on my face any time I have any concerns at all about the water conditions. I see a lot of people take them off or not put them on -- I guess maybe I'm more comfortable mouth-breathing than some folks, because it doesn't bother me to have my nose covered.

BTW, I use a long hose, clip it off when not in use, and it is not on any kind of quick-release. The bungied backup is just fine.

Good to hear you are ok and glad you like the long hose. You'll love yours when you get it. I agree with everyone else who has posted so far. For me even in our quarries the reg stays in until I'm in water where I can stand safely. And in some of our spots due to the bottom composition, and if I'm wearing doubles, til I'm out of the water. In Ocean City, Md and Va Beach I also learned the lack of value a snorkel has over a reg in those kinds of conditions. I also do not use a breakaway on my boltsnap. Tied on with cave line.

I also do not use a breakaway on my boltsnap. Tied on with cave line.

Sorry to drift off the thread a little but I was wondering why you choose not to use a breakaway? The only thing I can think is it may break unexpectedly due to becoming perished? I would have thought this is easy enough to pick up during regular inspections?

I was told to always use a doubled over O ring on the reg and the SPG. Just curious:D

I'm another one for keeping the mask on and the reg in if there is the remotest chance of needing them. It's just too easy, involves only a few extra seconds of use, and makes all the difference in the world if something unexpected occurs.

I understand the regulator comments. In our case, while it may be good practice, it is not normal from what I saw. We did a 300-400 yard surface swim at an easy pace on our backs. There where no swells out where we were. In hindsight, once we got closer in, the reg should have been in my mouth. tI will be next time. I am kinda glad I did not have my mask on because we were hit so hard, I would have lost it. The mask was not an issue once I figured out my situation. I believe I will change two things when I dive there again.
1. Reg will be in once we get closer to shore. My bungeed second will be pulled up near my mouth for the whole swim.
2. Mask will be clipped off or stowed to stay out of the dang way or I will keep it on depending on conditions.

I understand the regulator comments. In our case, while it may be good practice, it is not normal from what I saw. We did a 300-400 yard surface swim at an easy pace on our backs. There where no swells out where we were. In hindsight, once we got closer in, the reg should have been in my mouth. tI will be next time. I am kinda glad I did not have my mask on because we were hit so hard, I would have lost it. The mask was not an issue once I figured out my situation. I believe I will change two things when I dive there again.
1. Reg will be in once we get closer to shore. My bungeed second will be pulled up near my mouth for the whole swim.
2. Mask will be clipped off or stowed to stay out of the dang way or I will keep it on depending on conditions.

Glad to hear that everything turned out okay. I agree with calling dives. If the waves are over 3-4 feet viz sucks anyways, generally <10 ft. They also make entries/exits more problematic. I've been out there in large surf and it's not worth the dive. Better to be patient and come back when conditions are better.

I will disagree on the mask thing however. I was taught when entering/exiting surf to have your BCD partially inflated. You want enough air to float over top of wave but not so much you couldn't go under a wave if you had to or chose going under. You want the reg in your mouth at all times, and then place your hand over your mask and reg at same time to secure them against any large wave. If you are unlucky enough to get tumbled in the surf then you will have your mask in place and your reg in your mouth.

Many local divers also have a bungee/clip system on their BCD's where they will secure their fins on entry and exit, one less thing to worry about losing. I don't really like doing this since I'm trying to get out past the break as fast as I can. I generally put only one fin on and then kick like hell. Once safely past the surf zone then put on the other fin. And spring straps are worth their weight in gold for shore dives.

Dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom