Leatherback turtle, Karon beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coooool

we saw a green turtle laying in Cheratin in Malaysia.

Leatherback turtles, Hawksbill, and green turtles all still nest on a regular basis on Thai Muang beach. There is a park headquarters that protects them from being dug up, and they also help rehabilitate turtles that were caught in nets.

Thai Muang is just a few minutes South of Khao Lak and features one of the largest shore reefs on the west coast of Thailand.

Ringo:

It makes me sad to read that some locals immediately dug up the eggs and wanted to eat them. I also understand from the article that the eggs now may not hatch because of being handled by people.
I really hope that the turtle returns and lays another batch of eggs that will be protected and hatch in their natural way. Wouldn't it be great if we could get more turtles returning to our beaches in the future?:D

Ringo:
Yes, if we are lucky 2 or 3 eggs hatch.
Right now sitting on Karon beach wishing to see her and some more of her friends. Doubt it with the yobbo jet skiers racing around now. They have just raced over the line into the swimming area nearly swiping some swimmers!!!!
Those bozos used to come right up to you while you swam to give you the hustle.
Also I thought jet skis were outlawed last year, not that one could expect the laws
to be enforced.

Yes, I just saw that - 76 babies!
Hopefully they won't get confused by the lights and end up in Kata :)

KARON: Seventy-six leatherback turtles have hatched so far out of the 103 eggs laid on Karon Beach in December.

Before December, leatherbacks had not laid eggs on Karon Beach for more than 10 years. If the turtles are lucky at least 1% of the hatchlings will survive to adulthood and return to lay eggs.

Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) Veterinarian Sontaya Manawattana told the Gazette that 36 eggs starting hatching on Friday, 37 on Saturday and yesterday three more hatched.

“About 80% of the eggs from the nest will hatch and we release the turtles at Karon Beach, where the eggs were laid, the same day that they hatch. The turtles will remember where they were released and will come back to lay eggs at Karon Beach again, if they survive,” K. Sontaya said.

The turtles must be released in the evening at sunset so they will follow the setting sun into the sea, he added.

“The chance that these turtles will survive and come back to lay eggs here is small because after they go into sea they might be eaten by another animal, but that is the cycle of life for leatherback turtles.

“We try to care for them after they hatch but we haven’t had success with this type of turtle. They will die if we don’t release them into the sea,” K. Sontaya said.

He added that leatherback turtle eggs take about 60 days to hatch and that a leatherback has to be about 15 to 20 years old before it is able to reproduce.

The PMBC will continue to watch over the remaining 27 eggs and see how many eggs produce live offspring.

I'm not going to miss this next year or ever again. :D

Ringo, you really have a tough life having to sit in the shade on the beach all day. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom