Leaving for Puerto Vallarta next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to Puerto Vallarta next week with 2 friends (none of which are certified:( ) and were staying at the Sun Getaway.
I was just curious if anyone has any experience with this resort?
Also any tips, ideas, or must-see's? I'll probably try to sneek in a dive of two if I can join a group as well, although I've heard the diving isn't the greatest there. But I'm not complaining, its better that Canada in March!

I'm going to move your post over to Mexico. You might have a better chance at an answer there.
I don't know the resort, but I can second that I have heard the diving isn't much there.

I know PV well and I've been there several times. One of the original Mexican destinations for Canadians.

My best experiences in Mexico have always been when I venture out into the countryside and there is plenty of great countryside around PV. Rent a jeep for the day and spend some time driving along the coast, you'll find your own private beach and lots of great places to eat along the way. If you have the time, a day trip to Guadalajara will give you a chance to purchase local handicrafts at a fraction of the cost that you'll pay from the beach vendors.

Check out the following web site for great info on PV:

http://www.puertovallarta.net/

That was just another of Natasha's empty promises. She's made so many to me.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

LOL Doc. Looks like I'm the bad one here. I said I was moving it ..and waiting a bit too long ..Doc beat me to it.
But here in front of everyone ..I promise Doc no more empty promises ..
Wait was that just another one?

I dove PV 2 years ago with PV adventures the diving is good if you go out of the bay to a group of islands about a hour by boat called mariettas islands. Don't dive within the bay it sucks although we did see a manta by Los Arcos island. There is good vis outside the bay, water is warm but recommend 3mil because of the thermoclines.:eek:

My boyfriend & I just dove PVR in Feb. We dove Marietta's Island and it was pretty crappy. Vis was terrible and there was nothing to see. This was not a diving vacation for us & I knew the diving was poor. So there were no surprises/disappointments.
However, topside, we found lots to do. We spent half a day playing in the Rio Tomatlan and had a blast. Also enjoyed the little town of Boca de Tomatlan. We met a nice couple from Seattle, who were staying there, they'd been driving down the coast f/ 5 months. Another day we took a boat ride ($12 each) to Yalapa & spent a day there. You can only get there by boat. We horseback rode & saw a beautiful waterfall. Another day we went to where they filmed the movie Predator. It's hard to find & the road up to it is very rugged The restaurant there was great & we spent the whole day playing in the river & going down the natural water slide. We had such a great time that we went back & spent our last day there too. We went to see the famous Richard Burton set 'Night of the Iguana'. I'd never seen the movie, so it meant nothing to me, but I'm sure some people really enjoy it. A restaurant you should check out is La Cliff, pricey but very romantic & a beautiful view. All of this is south of PVR. We also drove north one afternoon and saw Punta Mita. Went to some small, no name restaurant & played in the ocean.
There's alot of touristy things to do downtown. Your non-diver friends will have no problem finding things to do. But I think you will be disappointed with the diving.

There's an area in the jungle called "Chico's Paradise." You can take a taxi there. It's an area with beautiful rock formations, waterfalls, and swimming. I visited there about 10 years ago so I hope it hasn't been developed. My guess is that is hasn't because it was so far into the jungle.

Not many people were there and you can easily spend the day hanging around.

I also dove with a operator called Chico's. I liked them.

Chico's Paradise is still there. It doesn't appear to be too developed. We stopped there for about an hour & then headed 10 minutes up the road to the Predator 'set'. (Same river) Chico's had a really cool tree house, we had our 4 kids with & they liked Predator better. As far as seeing where they filmed Predator...there's only a helicoptor from the movie, at least thats all I saw. But we were there for the river so it wasn't to important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom