left hand menus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, Right hand menu's are definately a pain in the ***. I hope the new format works better than what we have now.

I, too, think it's crap and a total pain in the ***. I have 20 posts per page, so the bottom 2/3 of the screen is much narrower than it needs to be. For 15 posts under the sidebar, there's just a large white section.

It's total crap and the old way was infinitely better. There's no reason for this.

I AGREE!!! This thing sucks!!!!!! I don't know how many times i have stopped using something because has that F***ing side bar. There is no need for it!! So we fell in a rut of having everything nice and neat from top to bottom. The only reason for it is because somebody will be able to put more ads on the side then at the top. And then we have to see them aaallll the way down the thread. Sounds like Sb may be getting a bit too big for the ocean.
Another thing that I just noticed is that I can't scroll left and right to see the entire post, or my own post as I am typing it. Folks, this is truly BULL****. Quit screwing with it and leave it alone.

There are certainly alternatives if SB gets too annoying

Tech Admin:
if you can not use them try switching to the vBulletin template style with the quick style chooser found in the bottom of any page,
Doesn't work. It goes right back to the custom style.

Edit:
Okay... I had two windows open. It's fine now.
PLEASE don't change the default VB template.

Second edit:
Now... Is there any way that I can disable the sample photo gallery on the home page? Every time a photo from "nlbford" or "nooreck" appears it hoses MSIE's ability to display many graphic images and I have to completely shut down and restart the browser. VERY annoying.

Sidebars are awful. Definitely will be a detriment to SB in the long run if it's this difficult to read & use the site.

jim

It should also be known that we have been using these sidebars for about 90% of our traffic for the past 3 or 4 months, when I began condensing our templates it forced everyone into the sidebar theme which is why you just noticed them.

Sidebars may be a detriment to experienced users who want to view posts and view posts only but as you will see in a few weeks, ScubaBoard has a lot more content than just forums and pushing it all around without a sidebar is virtually impossible. One of our main problems has been adding too much vertical content (gallery plugin, weather plugin, welcome box, navigation bar, rotating banner ads all added up takes up over a screen worth of space). It is my hope that with the proper layout we can achieve a working sidebar that does not disrupt your surfing, but also has a working navigation system as well (we will be putting some of the content of the forum into the sidebar so as to make it more useful).

I do however understand that for some people sidebars are not an option so I will be sure to leave a version of the site running without sidebars for you.

As a final note, I ask you all to remain decent in your posts and with your comments. Clearly sidebars are something some of you do not like at all, that is fine but rather than cursing or "yelling", please try to state your opinions in a civil manner, I am far appreciative (and understanding) towards a nicely worded post than one that tells me how bad I am.

RichLockyer:
PLEASE don't change the default VB template.

Second edit:
Now... Is there any way that I can disable the sample photo gallery on the home page? Every time a photo from "nlbford" or "nooreck" appears it hoses MSIE's ability to display many graphic images and I have to completely shut down and restart the browser. VERY annoying.

the vBulletin style is in place to give users who need a "lighter" page the original look with very little added, when our new layout comes there will be a vbulletin style and a sb custom style without sidebars as an option.

Also, for the time being I have removed the gallery from the no-sidebars theme to help avoid that problem as well (there won't be a gallery on the sidebars site, for the non-sidebars site well, perhaps that won't have one either).

TechAdmin- Thanks for keeping the vBulletin an option. Would it be possible to have a user store their preferred display mode in their profile?

Jim

EDIT: Whoops. Just realized that this is already in the profile. Didn't see it the first time looking through.

Back
Top Bottom