Left Handed Regulator Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about trying a left handed second stage on my left tank regulator therefore eliminating the need to wrap the left tank regulator hose. Although I plan to personally try different hose lengths I'm curious to hear from scuba board members on what you use for hose lengths on left tank, left handed reg and why (i.e., one length more comfortable than the other, less visual obstruction etc.) Also I'd be interested in hearing how you store it (i.e. necklace, tank band, clipped off) during the dive. Thanks in advance.

a few schools of thought.

my current regulator setup uses a 32" on the left which crosses over to the right side and is on a suicide strap, and a 9' hose on the right that crosses over to the left and gets clipped off *Poseidon Jetstreams*. The right hose will remain tucked until I am situated horizontally in the water so it has to come straight up.

Those I know that use a left handed regulator on the left side, or a right handed regulator on the right side and choose not to cross them all use long or "long" hoses on those sides. Typically 40", 60", 84", or in my case 108". These will go down into hose retainers, then back up to the mouth. This allows you to adjust the hose length on the fly which is important when you have no slack adjustment so the hose has to go somewhere.

Lamar likes his long hose on the left, which most people aren't a fan of, but in order to prevent crossing under a diver when in a single file air share, you should have the the long hose on the same side of your body as the hose connection on the second stage. I.e. a reversed second stage with a long hose should be on your left. What it sounds like you are wanting to do is 2x his short hose or in this case, right bottle. If you are diving with two short hoses, and they aren't crossing behind your head, there is no reason that they can't both be on individual suicide straps as long as they pull out pretty easily.

This is also pretty similar to the Toddy Style system where all of their bottles are set up exactly the same. In your case you would just have the left bottle be a true mirror image of the right bottle

When I rebuilt my Apex XTX50 I reconfigured it to route out the left side with the stock 24" hose that comes with the Apex sidemount reg kit.
For me that is about the right length. A 22" might be a tad short when turning my head to the right.

Mares is offering an interesting alternative that might be beneficial for sidemount configurations. Their new 2nd stage has the hose coming out the bottom.

poseidon tried that with the triton a few decades ago, not much interest back then, and I doubt much now. If you want the reg to be nondirectional, then the Cyklon/Jetstream/Xstream or the AUP Omega/500se are going to be more versatile for you

I loop the regulator around my neck and am currently use a 24-26" hose on the left side. So I would think 24" or less would be doable.

I have two long hoses, with APEK ATX-50 these are old models and are only right handed, but I', considering to buy either a XTX-50 to be left handed or a Poseidon Jetstream/Xtream, or a Hollis, to avoid the extra hose around my neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom