Left Routed Secondary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have trouble getting too wound up about hose routing or lending primary versus secondary debates. Regional differences, personal preferences, equipment configurations, and what people are already comfortable with will continue to stymie standardization. IMHO, the argument for consistency is pretty academic — someone who needs an octo will figure out how to stuff a regulator in their mouth no matter what side it comes off, what color it is, or whose mouth it was in.

This issue favors side exhaust/ambidextrous/symmetrical second stage regulators. Unfortunately, many people believe they do not breath as dry because they are not conditioned to leaning toward the exhaust side to expel excessive water. Like most things in life, there are no perfect solutions.

In the end, strict procedural training may be a disservice. Even if everyone you know uses a yellow octo, off the left shoulder, and offers it in an emergency; that could be a detriment when they travel and must interact with different conventions. I believe it is far better to train people to deal with differences since emergency plans tend to change when it all hits the fan anyway.

Last edited:
I'm certified with SSI and the secondary 2nd stage is routed to the right. There is little posibility to route it by the left, as the hose comes to the regulator by the right. It should be a different regulator if the hose comes from the opposite side.

I'm certified with SSI and the secondary 2nd stage is routed to the right. There is little posibility to route it by the left, as the hose comes to the regulator by the right. It should be a different regulator if the hose comes from the opposite side.

A lot of newer second stages on the market can be configured for right or left hose connection. This geometry also simplifies adding an adjusting knob to different models within a product family. Most, if not all, conversions are considered a task for technicians by the manufacturer. I suspect that designs will evolve that allow consumers to safely switch configurations if none are on the market already.

A lot of newer second stages on the market can be configured for right or left hose connection. This geometry also simplifies adding an adjusting knob to different models within a product family. Most, if not all, conversions are considered a task for technicians by the manufacturer. I suspect that designs will evolve that allow consumers to safely switch configurations if none are on the market already.

Didn't know. I'm a new diver who has been renting gear for all the dives I did already and I've never seen such 2nd stages.

Didn't know. I'm a new diver who has been renting gear for all the dives I did already and I've never seen such 2nd stages.

A lot of newer regulators can, but it isn't always advertised. Chances are pretty good they can be interchanged if there are symmetrical bosses on both sides. Here is an example:

Titan 2010
"Can easily be reversed from right-handed to left-handed configuration by an authorized Aqua Lung dealer without additional parts"

The Scubapro Pilot was left, right or both. I think it was first manufactured in 1980? Finicky beast to tune, but sweet breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom