Left side regulator???? Which one??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The man asked a simple question about regs..
If you don't know the answer, then don't post...

He was not asking to be preached to by religious zealots on a mission to "save" every one who doesn't dive the way they do.

My own answer is the only one I have personal experience with would be the SP R190.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...

He was not asking to be preached to by religious zealots on a mission to "save" every one who doesn't dive the way they do.

My own answer is the only one I have personal experience with would be the SP R190.

i was not trying to 'preach' and i certainly do not consider myself a religious zealot however i do care about the safety of other divers and i will voice my concerns, it then is their choice if they want to listen to well meant advice or not.

its about safety not about whether they do what i do.

If you ask a question on a public forum you have to expect people will disagree with you and challenge your way of doing things. This happens in person so why would online be any different? If you have a problem with this, then you should permanently unplug your modem.

Despite what you think there is very little (if any) proselytizing going on. I asked
spurtill why he didn't just route the house around the right side. Sure that's not the question he asked but not only is a viable solution it would have giving him more regulators to choice from. He replied that he didn't want to be confused in low visibility while narced. This prompted people to question the safety of his practices.

So, I would appreciate it you won't take a couple post out of context and make generalizations about everyone involved in the thread.

Cornfed

Cornfed/sheck33, that wasn't directed at you.
I have no problem with people who point out options respectfully.
I have a BIG problem with the zealots who start every post with "your going to DIE".

...but independent doubles can work perfectly well. Has anyone ever dived a single with a pony? What is that config if not independent doubles? Sure, they're "lopsided" twins, but many divers (including the OP) look at their twin 80s (or whatever) as a big-ass pony and manage their gas accordingly.

Background: I dive manifolded twins. I *used* to dive independent doubles. I prefer my present setup. My original config didn't kill me (never came close). I experimented with different reg setups. This is what I learned:

Started out with matching Dacor Viper Tecs, with 2nd stages that swivel to breathe up or down. Ran one over each shoulder. Left reg = left tank = left SPG, etc. Easy to keep track of. Gas management has already been discussed.

Several free-flows later (including one at 170 fsw on a wreck) the Dacors were retired. Blame the regs; not the fault of the config. Switched to Scubapro G-250s, both running over right shoulder. Bungee necklaced one, clipped the other. Got used to which was which, practiced switching in zero vis and/or narced, never had a problem. Borrowed a friend's Posieden to see if I wanted to make that my left-hand reg, didn't like it so stayed with the Scubapros.

To the OP: You only have two choices--run both on the right and learn to deal with it, or use a reg that can run from the left and accept that your reg choices will be limited. Good luck!

Cornfed/sheck33, that wasn't directed at you.
I have no problem with people who point out options respectfully.
I have a BIG problem with the zealots who start every post with "your going to DIE".

were all going to die.................one day

Odins have 10 times the ease of breathing than the vipers. The downside is the cost of special op hose they need. Does anyone still sidemount anymore?

Later gators

Oceanic Omega on my Stage bottles they are very light, very small, you can use them on either side and they cost about half what a Jetstream/Odin does.

someone once told me that the X-streams are desinged to free flow when not in the mouth. This makes breathing effort negligible. However it means they start free flowing agin once out of the mouth and as such are not suitable for non-manifoled twins. Sounds VERY strange if true, but i have seen them for sale on e-bay with note to the effect they are only suitable for manifolded twins.

Someone mentioned above the air management required in diving independents??? If you can't manage to change reg every X bar you definitely should not be using independents. However, any competent diver is aware of his air usage and the current air content of his tanks, so its fairly simple.

I did think of routing the regs over the right shoulder and even tried iti but it feels "nicer" with one over each shoulder.

The post went off in a direction i had not planned on, but all info is good.

I'll lool into the X-stream a bit more, if not it sounds like it will be the Jetstrea/Odin for reliability.

Cheers for all the info and opinions

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom