Left! You idiot! I said Left!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
USS San Francisco, showing damage to the bow after running a ground, off the coast of Guam.

The round object is the sonar sphere, the subs main sensor, which can hear distant underwater noises. The subs computer system has a library of known sounds, which helps the sub identify what it hears. Next to the nuclear reactor, the sonar system is the most expensive item on the boat.

Anyone want to guess the price tag for this little screw up?

Lil' Irish Temper:
USS San Francisco, showing damage to the bow after running a ground, off the coast of Guam.

The round object is the sonar sphere, the subs main sensor, which can hear distant underwater noises. The subs computer system has a library of known sounds, which helps the sub identify what it hears. Next to the nuclear reactor, the sonar system is the most expensive item on the boat.

Anyone want to guess the price tag for this little screw up?

Wouldn't that be, "Port! You idiot! I said Port!"? :wink:

$150 million, a carear

Actually, it was "All Back Full, you idiot... Aww... !@!#".

Also one life. A sailor died in this collision. I read something about an uncharted mountain. Basically, this will be more than one career.

No, not that port, the OTHER port!

Ouch!!! :11:

boomx5:
Wouldn't that be, "Port! You idiot! I said Port!"? :wink:

Actually orders to the helm are given as left or right, I.E. Hard right rudder, left full rudder, left ten degrees rudder etc.

The incident was quite a few hundred miles south of Guam, I believe, but a few days or so later it was towed into the main port (Apra Harbor) in Guam. The port (used both by the military & commercially) was essentially closed for most of the day until the sub was safely put away. The diving operations, which leave out of that port, for the most part, were forced to go to another port early in the morning, or the night before, and all the customers had to head there in order to board the boats (about 6 or 7 miles from the usual location.)

By the way, there was another tragic accident a year or so ago, the details to which I'm not sure of....but basically, a tank being transported across the harbor on a giant hovercraft. The tank (with driver) fell off the hovercraft, and the driver drowned. I happened to see either when this happened or the aftermath, (just watching the hovercraft) but assumed I was watching some military maneuver/training, which there are plenty of in Apra Harbor. (like the time I was diving & a bomb went off.....)

Deepseabob:
Actually orders to the helm are given as left or right, I.E. Hard right rudder, left full rudder, left ten degrees rudder etc.
[hijack] Before WWI helm orders told the helmsman what he should do to a TILLER --- starboard helm turns the bow to port. For a while, some ships used helm/tiller orders, other used rudder/direct steering orders which were the opposite sense. 1929 International Convention for Safety at Sea recommended the use of ONLY direct orders to the steersman -- i.e. starboard helm moves bow to starboard.

Using rudder commands (left and right) rather than helm commands (port/starboard) eliminates the confusion, since left and right were never used with the older system. [/hijack]

Back
Top Bottom