Leg in wetsuit and bootie found on Coffs Harbour beach, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfishsydney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Article from Sydney Morning Herald 17 December 2019:
A human leg has washed up on a beach on the NSW North Coast, sparking a police investigation.
About 2pm on Tuesday, three police vehicles converged on the spot where the leg was found, about a kilometre south of North Beach Life Saving Club at Mylestom, which lies 25 kilometres south of Coffs Harbour.
A local resident said he had heard it was a "substantial part of the leg", the foot was attached, and it appeared to be covered in wetsuit material.
"It's been suggested that it's been in the water for quite some time," the resident said. "It's a very, very long beach, and there are people walking around."
Another source said the remains included a thigh and shin bone and foot bones enclosed in what appeared to be a black diving boot.
Officers close to the investigation say the most likely scenario is that a swimmer, surfer or diver had died as a result of a shark attack.
A NSW Police spokesman confirmed the finding of the remains and said investigators would "forensically examine" the leg, try to establish the circumstances and identify whose it was.
They are sifting through recent missing persons reports and checking registries to see if there is a possible match.
Forensics took photographs on the beach but police removed the remains as the tide edged closer to where they were about 5pm.
Police say the leg could have floated hundreds of kilometres so their investigations would reach far north and south of where the leg was found.
Anyone with information about the leg is urged to contact NSW Police.

I have Googled missing divers etc and the only thing I can find is a missing spearfisher from Bundaberg in Central Queensland. He went missing almost a month ago. Nothing else comes up within a 1000 km in recent years. If it is this person, it is a long way for the body part to travel, at least 450 nm. It will not be a surfer as booties are not worn by surfers within 1500 nm (and in wrong direction for currents).

My soon to be ex-wife works for NSW Police, she indicated at a dive meeting last night that she knows more about this but cannot release the information. If she does say what she knows, I will update this.

Maybe some family will get some closure i hope.
They may also learn about the type of shark(s) that attacked, and the original location may get a warning sign.

Maybe some family will get some closure i hope.
They may also learn about the type of shark(s) that attacked, and the original location may get a warning sign.

Not exactly a lot to go on - the problem with finding "attacked" remains is that it's difficult to differentiate scavenging from an attack on a living victim, especially if as indicated the remains are skeletal.

I have Googled missing divers etc and the only thing I can find is a missing spearfisher from Bundaberg in Central Queensland. He went missing almost a month ago. Nothing else comes up within a 1000 km in recent years. If it is this person, it is a long way for the body part to travel, at least 450 nm. It will not be a surfer as booties are not worn by surfers within 1500 nm (and in wrong direction for currents).

So, you can guarantee that no surfer or water user besides divers wears neoprene boots within 1500 nm?

Not exactly a lot to go on - the problem with finding "attacked" remains is that it's difficult to differentiate scavenging from an attack on a living victim, especially if as indicated the remains are skeletal.

So, you can guarantee that no surfer or water user besides divers wears neoprene boots within 1500 nm?
Good Point about the living vs drowned person, autopsy will be able to tell more details.
Why ask for a guarantee? That usually means money back and no charge for an opinion. Or am I thinking of warranty?

Good Point about the living vs drowned person, autopsy will be able to tell more details.

Autopsy on a month-old foot? I wouldn't like to actually see that, but "I'd like to see that".

I've seen people surf in booties during long sessions in winter and rocky entries at Seal Rock, which is only ~100km south of there.
Never seen anyone in NSW surfing wear booties. In any case, the current along NSW coast goes south, not north.

Article from Sydney Morning Herald 17 December 2019:
A human leg has washed up on a beach on the NSW North Coast, sparking a police investigation.
About 2pm on Tuesday, three police vehicles converged on the spot where the leg was found, about a kilometre south of North Beach Life Saving Club at Mylestom, which lies 25 kilometres south of Coffs Harbour.
A local resident said he had heard it was a "substantial part of the leg", the foot was attached, and it appeared to be covered in wetsuit material.
"It's been suggested that it's been in the water for quite some time," the resident said. "It's a very, very long beach, and there are people walking around."
Another source said the remains included a thigh and shin bone and foot bones enclosed in what appeared to be a black diving boot.
Officers close to the investigation say the most likely scenario is that a swimmer, surfer or diver had died as a result of a shark attack.
A NSW Police spokesman confirmed the finding of the remains and said investigators would "forensically examine" the leg, try to establish the circumstances and identify whose it was.
They are sifting through recent missing persons reports and checking registries to see if there is a possible match.
Forensics took photographs on the beach but police removed the remains as the tide edged closer to where they were about 5pm.
Police say the leg could have floated hundreds of kilometres so their investigations would reach far north and south of where the leg was found.
Anyone with information about the leg is urged to contact NSW Police.

My soon to be ex-wife works for NSW Police, she indicated at a dive meeting last night that she knows more about this but cannot release the information. If she does say what she knows, I will update this.
Human leg found washed up on NSW beach identified as missing spear fisherman

Well that makes more sense than my theory of it being Harold Holt.

Reactions: CJS

Back
Top Bottom