Legality of "cave fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little tangential: I saw a burst disk blow out while a tank was filling at my LDS once. It was far more exciting than I'd imagined. While I don't think the tank that blew would have killed anybody, it could have knocked over a tank near it....

In this case, some guy had gotten a deal on a used HP cylinder with a bad valve. He replaced the valve (also getting a good deal on the valve, used). But what he didn't think to check was the rating on the burst disk on that valve. I'm told it was a LP rating.

Given that, I wondered if cave fills on LP cylinders risk blowing out the burst disks? I've consulted the burst disk expert G. O. Ogle, who indicates burst disks are rated to 5/3 the pressure of the tank they're on. Not sure that's true, but by my calculations if you're putting 4,000 psi or so in a LP cylinder you're skating on thin ice.

Anybody know better and willing to educate me on this? Genuinely curious if this is true.

Depends on what disc is in it...

Screenshot_20240130-164533.png

"An exceptional start"

but the lawyers should be chained together, and then what do you do with the culture that created them

112 001a (2).JPG

from a sheet of copper punch a few out and in they go two by two

A great segue to one of my all-time favorite jokes: What do you call ten thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
A good start.

A little tangential: I saw a burst disk blow out while a tank was filling at my LDS once. It was far more exciting than I'd imagined. While I don't think the tank that blew would have killed anybody, it could have knocked over a tank near it....
Years ago I got my LP steel doubles filled for a tech dive at the aforementioned shop in South Florida. When I picked them up, the guy who filled them said he had noticed a slight leak in one of the burst disks, and he had "fixed it." I assumed that meant he had put a wrench to it and snugged it up.

A month or so later I left those doubles at Cave Adventurers in Marianna, Florida for a typical cave fill prior to diving in a cave there. When I came back, I saw that the shop was a mess. What happened? I asked. What had happened was that the guy who had "fixed" my burst disk in South Florida had not snugged up the high pressure burst disk I had put in the tank and had instead replaced it with the low pressure burst disk standard for LP steel tanks, and when it blew, it wiped out about half the shop.

I am sure everyone who was there has vivid memories of the experience.

Burst disc are not accurate.

I had one blow on a LP tank that was not cave filled in the back of the truck. Faulty disc.

"An exceptional start"

but the lawyers should be chained together, and then what do you do with the culture that created them

View attachment 824244

from a sheet of copper punch a few out and in they go two by two
In the "olden" days back in the 50's......when we had a fuse blow in the house and no spares, my dad would just shove a penny in there until we could get to the hardware store the next day. We never burned down the house.

Years ago I got my LP steel doubles filled for a tech dive at the aforementioned shop in South Florida. When I picked them up, the guy who filled them said he had noticed a slight leak in one of the burst disks, and he had "fixed it." I assumed that meant he had put a wrench to it and snugged it up.

A month or so later I left those doubles at Cave Adventurers in Marianna, Florida for a typical cave fill prior to diving in a cave there. When I came back, I saw that the shop was a mess. What happened? I asked. What had happened was that the guy who had "fixed" my burst disk in South Florida had not snugged up the high pressure burst disk I had put in the tank and had instead replaced it with the low pressure burst disk standard for LP steel tanks, and when it blew, it wiped out about half the shop.

I am sure everyone who was there has vivid memories of the experience.
Just curious as to why a a blown low pressure burst disc would wipe out half of a dive shop? Now if the actual tank blew because of an "over-rated" burst disc.....I could understand.

Just curious as to why a a blown low pressure burst disc would wipe out half of a dive shop? Now if the actual tank blew because of an "over-rated" burst disc.....I could understand.

I've had burst disks give out on tanks in my garage. I didn't even know it until I went to use them.

Back
Top Bottom