Legs, core, and balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tndonor

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
I am new to the board and the sport. I am however a veteran backpacker. There are many things I noticed I could transfer from backpacking to SCUBA as far as pack control, leg and core strength. I am not saying you need to backpack but here are a few hints I offer to try.

If you have access or can find a cheap small backpacking pack (with the hip bolsters), get one. Usually EBAY or a used sporting good store has them for $20 or so. Put ten or so pounds of weight in it and wear it around the house as you do chores. The added weight will make you overstabilze all you movements and stregnthen your core and legs. After you are comfortable add five more pounds each wekk or ten days, etc. I take walks with a pack loaded with 40 pounds at my local park. It keeps my legs and core working and I improve my balance.

Then you may notice that putting your BC on out of the water is getting easier and not so cumbersome.

Well thats about all I have to say. Myabe it will benefit someone else.

Thanks all!

Wow! Great idea. I'm going to try that before my next dive trip as part of my walking program.

:( just go back to higschool.. my bag weighed 25lbs last semester with all the binders and text books in it -- carried it around all day... :) its now super light cause i only have 2 binders, 1 text book, some guitar picks and gym clothes in it.

tndonor:
Put ten or so pounds of weight in it and wear it around the house as you do chores.
... - or - ...
strap on a '72, forget the chores and go diving!
Rick :)

Well as nice as it would be to skip chores and dive........
At least you can gear or focus your activities to benefit you under the water!

Three good exercises for core stability and flexibility:

1) Hip Flexors - Sit on a stable chair, back straight, pin your shoulders back and keep your chin up. Now lift one knee straight up and hold for a second or two. You should feel it in your hip joint, but, some feel it in the abdominals and down the leg also. Do three sets of 10 to start and go up from there. Hold longer when you can.

2) Gluteus Medius (referred to as side of thigh - actually a rump muscle pair that plays a role in balance):

Easy method - Stand on one leg with feet a few inches apart, lift one leg out away from your body to the side. Focus on keeping your leg straight and don't rotate. Concentrate on your heel and lift it out as far as it will go. Hold out for a second and return. You should feel the burn in the side of your rump. If you feel it on the top of your thigh then you are rotating your leg and point your toes out. Your leg should return with the foot square with the other one.

Harder method - Lie on one side with your back to a wall. Slowly lift your leg and slide the heel along the wall. Lift and hold. Do three sets of 10 if you can. If not, then do what you can x 3 sets and work on doing more the next time. That is all that matters...progress. Add an ankle weight if you want more intensity.

3) Hip extension with lower back - Lie on your stomach, bend one knee to 90 degrees (so the foot points to the ceiling). Lift the leg off the floor and press towards the ceiling. Again, concentrate on the squeeze in the buttocks and pretend you are pushing your heel against the ceiling. Do 3 sets of 10 to start....

Add them to your workout routine or do them alone 4-5 times a week.

I like to try new exercises like these now and then. They can help to identify weaknesses and imbalances that lead to jonit dysfunction and pain. In my case, they helped improve my running pace and hopefully help keep me injury free.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom