Leisure Pro vs. Other Internet Retailers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, so it is the Aqualung shop that wants to be more competitive. Most shops I have seen that carry Aqualung or Scubapro tend to push them as their main line. So one option they have is to push Mares as its main line while keeping the AL brand tied up in the area but supporting their AL owner customers.

I don't profess to know the insides of the industry but that is my impression as well, that the SP/AL shops push that as their main line. And most are proud as heck to carry those lines and love the fact that they don't allow internet sales or steep price discounts.

I also wonder about the "territories". I know there are many shops in my area that carry the same brands, though it is a large city. And the online dealers can certainly sell to customers in any area. But if I am Zeagle or Aeris and a SP/AL dealer calls me, why would I get excited about having my brand in a shop where it's clearly going to play a distant second fiddle? I'd rather be in a shop that's going to actually try to sell my brand to customers.

Talking about Leisurepro - has anyone seen their holiday schedule for October? Damn, they are closed pretty much the whole month. I was planning to bag some cheap gear whilst I was up in the U.S., but I just can't match up with one of their brief opening windows.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of celebrating religious holidays, but you would think they could hire a couple of token Gentiles to keep the lights on during the Jewish holidays...

Talking about Leisurepro - has anyone seen their holiday schedule for October? Damn, they are closed pretty much the whole month. I was planning to bag some cheap gear whilst I was up in the U.S., but I just can't match up with one of their brief opening windows.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of celebrating religious holidays, but you would think they could hire a couple of token Gentiles to keep the lights on during the Jewish holidays...

they close every year during the jewish holidays.

They do this every year.

I kinda thought they would have figured a way to keep their store open also so they don't miss so much business, but I guess that's their choice.

EDIT: I think they are also closed on Saturdays, which in the retail scuba industry is kinda crazy also.... (but I guess that's their choice).

It might be because if you believe it is wrong to do something during certain periods, it may also be wrong to hire someone else to do it. Think of it as murder is wrong so hiring someone else to commit murder for you is also wrong.:no:

They do this every year.

I kinda thought they would have figured a way to keep their store open also so they don't miss so much business, but I guess that's their choice.

EDIT: I think they are also closed on Saturdays, which in the retail scuba industry is kinda crazy also.... (but I guess that's their choice).

Kinda inevitable with any LP discussion. Eventually brings out the anti-semitic discussion. Not yet but soon. Someone close this thread. No more utility.

They cannot trade on Saturdays or Jewish Holidays. Finis.

Kinda inevitable with any LP discussion. Eventually brings out the anti-semitic discussion. Not yet but soon. Someone close this thread. No more utility.

They cannot trade on Saturdays or Jewish Holidays. Finis.

I don't think his comments were Anti-semitic.... (or even close). I think he was just agrivated that they weren't open when he was going to be in town and he wanted to score a good deal....

But I think you're right, we can stick a fork in this thread. It doesn't serve a usefull purpose and no amount of "whining" is going to change of of the issues anyone has for or against this company. no sense anyone bickering about it....

If you want to buy your stuff there, go do it....
If you don't, then don't....

simple enough.

I don't think his comments were Anti-semitic.... (or even close). I think he was just agrivated that they weren't open when he was going to be in town and he wanted to score a good deal....

Thanks, Mike. I certainly didn't want to appear anti-Semitic. I just was a bit taken aback - it is pretty unusual in the UK for Jewish owned businesses to shut down in that way. The quip about hiring a Gentile to keep the lights on was, of course, facetious.

They do this every year.

and here I just thought they were being sporting to the brick and motor guys giving them a chance to compete. Sort of like a having one hand tied behind your back and being blind folded and they still beat the other guys.:rofl3:

Kind of the same idea as Chick Fila not being open on Sundays. It's annoying when I want a delicious chicken sandwich when they're closed but you have to admire a business owner that is willing to accept monetary loss to adhere to their beliefs. Walking the talk so to speak.

Rhone Man -

If you're in the area (Baltimore, MD) and scheduling is tight - you can always come see us. Our prices compete everyday with LP and we're open M-F 12-7 EST and Sat 12-4.

We also will arrange private shopping experiences and consultations by request during any hour day or night between 7am - 11pm anyday of the week. Simply call 443-772-0595.

Find out why divers drive more than 10 hours and why people from more than 15 states and 15 countries are quickly making us a top competitor. Personal service - internet pricing - in stock items and training from OW to Rebreather, Cave, Trimix and Advanced DECO procedures.

We encourage you to Explore Your World

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom