Lembeh / Black Sands ... should i bother bringing Wide Angle lens/port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything cycles in lembeh. I think ghostpipes vary. In feb march this yr I heard decent numbers. When I went in December v low numbers. However December is excellent for BRo and tons of flamboyants. But only one mimic and no wonder pus. Think July best time for Cephalopods. Viz lowest but critter action peaks in jul August, but lot people go sept-dec where critters high still but viz better. Can be cloudy n rainy then. Whatever the time of yr I think u will likely see some cool crazy stuff regardless.

I would agree with Mike - there are some great opportunities for Close Focus Wide Angle photography and you may want to mix up the diving with a trip to the south of Lembeh or Bangka where the wide angle would come in.

Re: the Rhinopias - there has not been many sightings in the past few years but one did spring up a couple of times last year...You never know your luck maybe in!

I left Lembeh this morning. Packed my wide angle, and never used it even once. Didn't even wish I had it once. 60mm is the way to go. Like someone else said, this viz is pretty bad so you want to be close to your subject.

no rhinopias this week. Tons of mimics. Several blue rings. Overall an amazing trip. Can't wait to go back!

Subject says it all. Going to Black Sands at Lembeh for Songkran. I'm really into macro photography lately (maybe one of these days i'll take a half decent picture). I would love to keep my travel pack as small as possible and wondering if I would regret not bringing my dome port and wide angle lens. Its not huge as I have a M43 setup, but every bit helps. I'm sure that there will be moments I wish I had wide angle, but are there nay dives that I would deliberately enter setup for wide? Or would I end up just bringing macro for every dive. Should have about 5.5 days of diving

You're probably fine with just macro judging from what everyone is saying, but when I was in Bunaken last fall I heard a story of how some divers in Lembeh were just finishing their safety stops and were ready to get back on board the boat when a whale surfaced right beside them. Bet you all of them wished they had a wide angle for that dive! :)

Back
Top Bottom