Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
We just came back from a week of diving in Cozumel and was using the 7' long hose configuration with bungeed safe second on a 22" hose. Having now experienced this configuration, we don't prefer this setup for ocean diving mainly because of the following:

1) I remove my bcd in the water and the captain pulls my whole rig onto the boat before I climb up the ladder. Having the safe second bungeed onto my neck, and long hose wrapped around my neck, I have two additional things to "remove" or risk getting strangled. Those of you who have dove Cozumel will understand what I mean. The captains work fast and while they accommodated my long hose well, it wasn't ideal.

2) The long hose is just long and unwieldy on a boat, dangling everywhere and often dragged on the bottom of the boat.

3) Currents can actually sweep the long hose over the head so to as to unwrap it.

So, we're thinking about our setup and may go back to recreational length hoses. So, what are standard recreational hose lengths?

We think we might want to try recreational setup or maybe the Dive Rite AOW setup with swivel or angled arm.

Not sure yet, but we are keeping in mind our next trip, which is a liveaboard in Belize. I know different setups are ideal for different diving conditions. There is just no best setup for all conditions.

two thoughts. One is what we use in the pool which is similar to what GUE used to do when it allowed a short long hose in it's recreational program and that is to use a 30-32" hose just going straight out and kind of bowing out over your shoulder. Not ideal, but it's the standard octopus hose length so it's available everywhere, doesn't require a swivel of any kind, and is manageable. I personally have no real issues with it.
You can see in the video below from our program what that hose length looks like in the water when the diver rotates As you can see it bows out quite a bit so isn't the most streamlined, but it is functional. If you already have a standard length hose, then it may be worth trying vs. shelling out $50 for each reg set on a new hose and a swivel. Advantage to that is if you drop the reg, out of your mouth, it should stay caught in your arm. I prefer the second setup from the video above with a 40" hose and elbow and while I do prefer the 7' hose, if you're getting your rig hauled out from the water, then that is certainly a justification to go with the shorter hoses

@tbone1004 , thanks for your advice. I don’t have a standard hose. I bought a Deep 6 reg set and chose 22” and 7’ hoses. So if I were to buy 2 new hoses, recreational style, what length should I get?

I use the long hose bungee config....I clip my long hose to a D ring before climbing the ladder.

If you can't climb the ladder with your gear on, then your right, this config ain't for you....

if buying new, I'd call Cave Adventurers and get the 40" hose and ball swivel. You will still have to clip that hose off to the right d-ring, and clip your suicide strap into that same bolt snap so both second stages are attached to each other and the same d-ring, but it will haul into the boat very similar to a standard recreational setup that the divemasters are used to

if buying new, I'd call Cave Adventurers and get the 40" hose and ball swivel. You will still have to clip that hose off to the right d-ring, and clip your suicide strap into that same bolt snap so both second stages are attached to each other and the same d-ring, but it will haul into the boat very similar to a standard recreational setup that the divemasters are used to

Thanks @tbone1004 .

I watched the Dive Rite video again and you said you preferred the second configuration. What exactly is the difference between the first and second? Is it just the flex hoses? The lengths seem to be the same. I have a yoke first stage so can’t do DIN.

And don't forget....changing your hoses will effect your weighting.......:wink:

lengths should be identical. The difference is where the hoses are going and coming from.
Option 1 is "traditional" with the hoses going straight out of the sides. This isn't really ideal for the long hose or the HP hose.
Option 2 is similar to what we use on the left post of doubles where the HP hose goes down and the octo comes straight out of the bottom port. Much more streamlined and the hoses are pretty much all going in the direction that they need to be

Option 3 which is also worth looking at has the 40" hose on the bottom port and the first stage canted over at 45* and how many run the 7' hose.

Personal preference, but I use option 2

he was kidding about the hoses and buoyancy btw

Dang! :facepalm:

As you can tell, I still have so much to learn!

Just teasing you...this should have almost zero effect on weighting
:poke::hugs:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom