Lens Adapters: step up or down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coco2003

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a point and shoot Olympus and the housing has a 52mm thread. I want to buy a macro and wide angle lens but most of them are either 46, 55 or 67mm. My question: What would be the correct choice with the lens adapter, to step up or step down?

I am slowly working my way up in underwater photography and it is quite expensive therefore I am on a budget. So I really would like to know the answer.

Get the larger lens. You will then be using only the center of the lens which should give you better pictures. No need to go all the way to 67 unless you want to upgrade, most more serious housings will take 67 mm lenses.

Bill

Thanks a lot. I will make my order tomorrow.

I have a point and shoot Olympus and the housing has a 52mm thread. I want to buy a macro and wide angle lens but most of them are either 46, 55 or 67mm. My question: What would be the correct choice with the lens adapter, to step up or step down?

I am slowly working my way up in underwater photography and it is quite expensive therefore I am on a budget. So I really would like to know the answer.

For macro only, a standard 52mm close up lens would work fine, but might vignette a little. A good one from Nikon or Canon would be best, the Nikon 3T and 4T are acrromatic, though not very powerful.

One gentleman here has even used a standard wide converter on his camera. It's not designed for this, since it is not sealed, but was so cheap that there is no loss if it flooded (it did not) and his results were excellent. Don't be afraid to experiment, especially on a budget.

Here are the pictures using a cheap WA adapter screwed on an Olympus PT-030/ SP-350:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/338416-non-wet-wide-angle-lens-underwater-yes-work.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom