Lens and strobe choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedude1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Clermont, Florida (Just left of center on the penn
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an XTi, in an Ikelite housingwith which I have a great time and have made some very nice images, however the stock lens (18-55) is less than stellar, especially at the widest angle.
Whats a good lens in the same general range (18-50, 17-70, etc...) that is reasonably priced and better image quality?
Also, I currently use a single Nikonos SB-105 and I want to go to a dual strobe system which will tie in to the TTL system. Is the DS-51 a worthy strobe? Budget is an issue here, and I am not planning to publish any images, except on the occasional website.

Sigma 17-70 macro is great :)

Ikelite makes great strobes. Try to get something with the widest possible angle of coverage that you can afford, imho. Buy more than you think you need so you don't get frustrated and have to buy again.

Hi Alcine,

what is your setup with Sigma 17-70 macro.
Have RDX 450 D ans same lens, still searching for for port and zoom gear.
can you advice. Thanks
Bernhard

DiveDude -

Are you using the 18-55mm II or the later IS version? The IS version has excellent an excellent MTF score and focuses a little closer than the II version, but the sigma 17-70mm focuses even closer.

Are you using the correct Ikelite port and is it a 6-inch or 8-inch port. You'll want a large dome port and maybe a +2 or +4 diopter, depending on which lens you are using. What F-stop do you usually shoot at?

The lens may not be your issue, it may be your dome port optics. And just curious, are you using a zoom ring with this lens?

hope this helps a little,
Scott

Umm, I put the lens on, whap on my big dome port (I shoot Subal) and go :)

That's the advantage of those big dome ports! Makes many things easy :)

Although the last paragraph on this page is good to know regarding diopters:

Subal Dome Ports at Ocean Optics

ps - Alcina, I'll be visiting your beautiful country in one month, I can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom