Lens question for digital rebel xt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the reviews on the Canon 18-55 lens that comes in the kit, you will find it is not a very well liked lens. If you can you should put more into the lens, the 17-85 EF-S IS USM is a much better lens, but more money. Another option if wide angle is not that important at this point is the Canon 28-200 usm, or if you want to venture away from Canon there is the Tamron 18-200 XP-DI II, and the Sigma 18-200 AF-DC as well. This type of lens for a beginner makes a very versatile all round walkabout lens. But when you do take it underwater you will definitly need to get something in a shorter zoom, or fixed focal length. Remember, a $200 lens + $1000 body = a $200 camera.

As you're looking to use the camera on land to begin with, don't want to spend a small fortune and want to have some versatility as to what you take pictures of, and most people do, especially starting out, then you'd be better off going for a lens with a wider range of zoom. The kit lens makes a good starting point but the optics are not as good as a higher end lens. That said you should be happy enough with what you see.

The Sigma 18-200 mentioned by newbidown above is a better lens with decent enough optics, cheaper than a Canon lens, and it should allow you to take a good range of subjects. It's not a lens that I'd take underwater though as it extends out quite a way so it would be in danger of crashing the port.

The Canon 60mm EF-S is a nice lens for macro but as it’s fixed at 60mm you won't be able to zoom in and out with it.

Do your research and read up on what the various numbers and letters on the lens mean as it may save you buying something now which you'll later regret.

In simple terms the things to note are:

• The lower the f number the more light that gets into the lens and the more it’s likely to cost. f numbers may be quoted as single numbers or as a range based on the best available aperture at the lower and upper ends of the lens range e.g f2.8, f3.5-4.5, etc.
  • The mm values tell you the range of the lens. The lower the mm values the wider the angle of coverage of the lens, the higher the mm value the closer the subject will seem. Zooms will have a range, fixed length lenses will just have one number
  • IS in Canon terms is an image stabiliser and will push up the cost but provide more stabilisation on the shot
  • EF Vs EF-S - Both EF and EF-S lens will work on the Rebel but EF-S lenses won't work on older film cameras as they’ll crash the mirror due to a deeper back end. The EF-S were introduced to reduce the cropping factor on wide angle using the smaller sensor of the likes of the Rebel
  • USM stand for Ultra Sonic Motor. A lens with USM can focus very quickly and silently
  • L - Luxury lens, these will definitely help empty your bank account but will be superior to other in their category

First lens I bought for my XT was the sigma 18-50mm EX DC f/2.8 which I got instead of the kit lens. This has grown on me and has become my favorite everyday-take-around lens. It's above your price range at $419 or so, but it's a fast lens with nice image quality for landscape to potrait. There's a newer model with closer min focus distance. Or as Alcina and Jack have recommended, the Sigma 17-70mm (f/2.8-f/4.5). These are great lenses that are as good as if not better than some of the Canon top line equivalents and for less.

Dub, as everyone has mostly covered, you really need to determine what the use for the lens will be primarily. I would highly encourage you to go the Canon forum and you can learn plenty from real professionals. Website is www.photography_on_the.net. I would also encourage you to invest in some educational materials to learn how to get more out of your camera. There is a book company that puts together the "Magic Lantern Guide" series of manuals on your camera that would be beneficial. I also think there is a DVD put out by Blue Crane on using the camera.

Whatever you decide as far as lens, welcome to the photography world and have a great time!

WW, that link doesn't work. Could you post it again please?

Has anyone seen, used or heard anything about the Sigma 24-70 2.8?
I'm considering getting it for my Xti.

Back
Top Bottom