Lenses for Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all
we are heading to the Galapagos in April and just wondering what lenses people suggest. I currently have the standard kit lens (18-55). A Canon 60mm macro, and the Tokina 10-17 fish eye. I'm thinking the 10-17 may be too wide. Is there another lens you would recommend?
thanks

You don't mention what camera you have, but reading in between the lines it sounds like you have a cropped-sensor Canon SLR. You also don't mention what housing you have, but I assume you have zoom gear and ports for both the kit lens and the Tokina 10-17mm. Between the 3 lenses you mention, you have it all pretty much covered. The 100mm macro is nice for really small stuff, and would be a nice addition if you were going to a place with great macro, but Galapagos is not really a macro destination, so I think the 60mm will be better for Galapagos as it will be more versatile.

One thing you could consider is adding a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter to the Tokina 10-17mm. This seems to be a popular option. It will give the lens a bit more reach while still being able to focus close. You might like that option better than the kit lens.

You are correct, It is a cropped sensor SLR (T3i) and I am using a nauticam housing. I haven't thought about getting a teleconverter. Will that fit in the 4 inch zen dome port or would I need an extension tube of some sort?

thanks

You are correct, It is a cropped sensor SLR (T3i) and I am using a nauticam housing. I haven't thought about getting a teleconverter. Will that fit in the 4 inch zen dome port or would I need an extension tube of some sort?

thanks
I think you will need a 20mm extension ring, and also a different zoom gear. Double check with your Nauticam dealer to be sure.

i understand the diver who started this thread has had their trip, but wanted to add my 2 cents for anyone else planning a trip in the future. Just back from 10 days, including 4 at Wolf and Darwin. I use a 7d (crop sensor) in a Nauticam housing with a Tokina 10-17 on all wide shoots, and brought a 60mm macro lens and port that I used on a few dives (bat fish). While there are other good choices, I felt happy with what I had. I also shot a GoPro, and was surprised when I got home to see how much more interesting the GoPro footage was than what I shot with the big camera. Now some of this is a reflection of my poor wide angle technique, but still when I go back I will do a few things different when shooting the big fish.

1. Shoot more often with available light with the 7d.
We had a lot of sunny days with milky visibility of 35-45 feet. The sharks usually stayed about 20-30 feet away, where strobes did no good and caused moderate to severe backscatter. The GoPro did admirably in those situations. Limiting strobe use also put less stress on the animals, who would approach a bit closer.

2. If the dive plan calls for less than 60 ft, it's bright and the sun behind me, use a magic filter and manual white balance and leave the strobes on the boat.
We had exceptionally strong currents, which often moved strobes out of position (causing backscatter) and made the camera physically hard to handle, especially if you needed to use one hand to hold on. Using strobes also negated the fast firing modes of the camera. Hiding behind rocks to avoid current lost shooting angles. When I go back, I will dive at least some dives with no strobes and look for a rock I can ride like a saddle. That way I can use my legs to hold on, use both hands to control the camera and have an unobstructed field of view.

The last is more important than you might think, I have several videos of divers struggling to shoot pictures of animals in the middle difference while other sharks were immediately behind or overhead. Often the best shot is behind you.

3. Use a strap to stabilize the camera for video.
I use the luggage strap from my carry on as a aid to stabilizing my housing. I hook each end to the housing and shorten it until when I have the strap around my neck and extend my arms the housing is held taut.

4. Stay close to the guides.
They know where the animals most closely approach the reef.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom