Lessons for Life - June Issue of Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've spoken with some LDS's and I've spoken with some Sales Reps for a couple of Manufacturers. And there is a fear that online sales will kill off the LDS's and then a lot of the Scuba Market will go away.

I'm not suprised that they would print something like that. There is a lot of momentum among industry titans to keep the Scuba Hobby going through LDS's as much as possible.

As soon as I read the story about the "dangers" of buying online in the June issue, I realized that "Scuba Diving" was a pawn of their advertisers who obviously cooked up this little bit of propaganda to scare off unsuspecting readers from the horrors of those scary internet retailers. What a load of garbage.

I had the same thoughts that are getting expressed by most.

The author does not lay blame where I think it should fall, with the diver who did not bother testing his equipment, and his buddies. They did put a bit of blame on the three man buddy team approach which I also don't really agree with that. I quote:

"three-man buddy teams provide only the illlusion of safety unless all members of the team recognize their responsibilities".

My thought, has does that differ from a two man buddy team?

They basically blamed the online retailer for not testing the equipment, but how do they really know if that was the case?

The guy got to depth and though part of the dive before his first stage went. A shop could have checked out the reg, but if they did not open up the first stage, they would not have seen the metal shavings which resulted in the problem?

I do at least 45 minutes in the pool when I get a new/serviced Reg. IMO that is what they SHOULD have suggested, do a check in a safe enviroment prior to diving new/serviced regs or BC's. I think it's OK to dive fins untested! :lol:

I generally like this feature in Scuba Diving, and they don't often pull punches in placing blame generally with the diver whom is often dead as a results of his/her actions. In this case however I found the conclusions to be somewhat politically motivated.

lamont:
..... how in @#$%@$#%'s name does this turn into a lesson to not buy over the internet?

Lamont et al,

If you did not read the article it might be easy to see why you would think that the OP missed the boat on this but when you take a look at the actual article, you might change your mind when you realize the title of the article is, "A BAD BARGAIN -Dan saved a few bucks by ordering his gear online, and it nearly cost him his life"

The article goes on to say the online retailer that sold the regulator in question does not offer the same inspections of life support equipment that your local LDS is required to offer via the manufactures....

While it ended by saying to make sure your gear is inspected wherever you buy, it was seriously one sided and obviously against purchasing from online retailers...

As the founder and CEO of an ad agency that I have since sold, being somewhat savvy in these areas, the publications credibility plummeted in my book...

In an attempt to be balanced in my views, I did really appreciate the value in some of the recent "Lessons for Life" series in the publication... Final Accent, Fatal Curiosity and others come to mind...

I need to run now so that I can get back to check to see what Larry at Scuba Toys has on sale... Thank the good Lord that he always checks my gear for me unlike that negligent and murderous online mystery retailer that the publication refers to...

Enlighten & opinionated thoughts by,

Blue Moon

I dropped Scubadiving a quick email, I would be surprised if they reply however.... I may get a call from my boss:wink:

To the Editor,

I was very disappointed with your article “Lessons for Life” in the June Issue of Scubadiving.

As an Instructor, Course Director and Professional Dive Industry Sales Manager I can not disagree more with the tone and apparent conclusions drawn.

There exists today dozens of Professional Local Dive Stores that have expanded their business model to include the internet. In society today any business that ignores the internet is not realistically and objectively doing market study and consumer buying analysis. To link the unfortunate dive to buying online is disingenuous and contrary to what I am sure the author intended, will have a negative impact on the credibility of your magazine. Divers are educated and computer savvy as industry demographic studies show. This article was a transparent effort to dissuade divers from making purchases online. While it is preferable for a diver to have a local dive shop that can service their needs for various tangible and intangible reason this is not always possible.

The dive example given was more indicative of a lack of training to handle the situation and poor quality control at the manufacturing level than because the diver purchased online.

I suspect this dive never took place and question the motives behind the printing of this article. Consumers and Local Dive Stores would be better served by having the industry encourage local dive stores to adapt to new costumer expectations than continuing to stick by the very misconceptions that have driven our divers to purchase online as opposed to locally.

Best,

Chris Richardson

Oceanic Southeast Regional Sales Manager

RonFrank:
Wow Chris,

Talk about putting your money where you mouth is! I'm impressed.

Ron

It's time we changed. For me this isn't a game, it's what my passion has lead me to do.

Chris, you and Oceanic gain points with me every time I read one of your posts. Bravo!

Me: Oceanic Bioflex Tour, Air XS
Wife: Oceanic Bioflex Pro Tour, Air XS

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom