Let’s do the ten best scifi/fantasy series (can’t go with 5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series

That was a great one that I forgot! Hmmm... may have to dig it out of storage soon & reread it.

I don't know . . . Tolkien avoided a major mistake in writing long series. He didn't draw things out so that the later books become longer and longer, with less and less in them. I think Jordan has fallen into that trap a bit. I do hope he finishes the series, though. There are a lot of loose ends that need wrapping up!

Forgot Tad Williams' Otherworld series. And going way back to junior high school, Andre Norton's Witch World books, which combined SF with magic.

Patricia Kennealy's series that begins with The Copper Crown.

Robert Jordan is being treated for amyloidosis, which is currently in check.

On his list of things to do:

Oh, finishing A Memory of Light, of course, and getting started on Mat and Tuon, and some others, five to ten years after the Last Battle. Those go without saying. Not a bad plan for the coming year, eh?

ReefGuy:
Robert Jordan is being treated for amyloidosis, which is currently in check.

On his list of things to do:

Oh, finishing A Memory of Light, of course, and getting started on Mat and Tuon, and some others, five to ten years after the Last Battle. Those go without saying. Not a bad plan for the coming year, eh?

Been reading his blog, eh? :D

Lynne, I agree that he stalled a lot in a couple of books but I think he's committed to finishing the series- a monumental task, given the complexity of the storylines. Guess we're all due to re-read it all in the next year or so. :fruit:

H2Andy:
you guys are all GEEKS!! GEEKS!

of course, i was a history geek myself ... never got into SF or fantasy

(how many 15 year olds you know can name all the carriers that took part in the battle of Midway, US and Japanese?)

Not into the fantasy stuff either but I did read the Robot series by Asimov - fair to middelen.

I just finished Sea of Thunder, by Evan Thomas It was good but not great. The insight into Japanese culture was very interesting however.

Dave
DDHF

Guess we're all due to re-read it all in the next year or so.

Yeah, one thing about that series . . . He takes so long to get the next book out, I have to go back and reread at least several prior ones so I've got all the hanging threads straight in my mind. So I'm guaranteed a couple of weeks of reading every time a new book hits the stores.

Without repeating a bunch of what's been put here I would mention a series by Allen Cole and Chris Bunch called "Sten". It was one of the first Sci-Fi space series that I read and I loved it.

I liked the wheel of time books that everybody has been posting about, however I had to stop reading them after a while. I found them to be very repetetive and frankly boring after a certain point.

I also enjoyed the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind - Similar to the wheel of time stuff, and also not a completed series yet.

How about:

Robin Hobb - "The Farseer Trilogy", "The Tawny Man" series & the related "Live Ship Traders"

L. E. Modesitt - "The Recluce" sagas

and of course

R.A Salavator - The Forgotten Realms "Dark Elf" books.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Alan Dean Foster (or I missed it.)

Others I like, Terry Brooks Shanarra series

Peirs Anthony... the great punster that he is.

I'm glad I didn't start reading the wheel of time serie. I'll wait till it's over in case Jordan for any reason cannot complete it. We have all the books at home (not the last one though) and it takes a lot of space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom