Let's build the perfect video system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calinectes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here's a question for all you video nuts out there.......

I've noticed how many different responses one can get by asking about which cam to buy. Let's build a theoretical dedicated underwater video system so that video newbies like myself can understand the staggering choices out there.

What are the attributes that a camcorder should have in order to get great underwater video? What accessories are a must have to complete the package?

I don't want brands, price, etc.... Just specs.

OK, 3 2/3" CCD's for image capture. A tape format that is at minimum DVCPRO 50, for HD then DVCPRO HD format. That would allow a small tape cassette. Other "real" formats are too large.

Yes, it would be expensive, but at least the picture quality would be there.

A primary "attribute" a camcorder must have is an off-the-shelf housing for that model! It does no good to have the best imaging camcorder if you have to pay a fortune for a custom housing.

IMHO you must also consider flexibility. I prefer a housing that will accommodate more than one camcorder model so when the manufacturer discontinues your chosen model, there are others you can buy that fit tyhe housing.

Are we dreaming here, or do we have a tight budget?

Calinectes:
Here's a question for all you video nuts out there.......

I've noticed how many different responses one can get by asking about which cam to buy. Let's build a theoretical dedicated underwater video system so that video newbies like myself can understand the staggering choices out there.

What are the attributes that a camcorder should have in order to get great underwater video? What accessories are a must have to complete the package?

I don't want brands, price, etc.... Just specs.

This is a little strange. No brands, no price, just specs ?

If you want to make great video, I really don't think there are that many choices out there since you need a matching housing.

You want a camcorder that has good low light sensitivity and good coloring. It's hard to quote specs since mfr's lux (low light) ratings are meaningless against one another.

A 3ccd mini dv or high definition camcorder. They have the best color, resolution and low light sensitivity. Actually, I would go straight to high def.

Off the top of my head, that would be a choice between 2 camcorders. One really big, the other much smaller, both made by the same mfr.

A matching housing that allow access to manual white balance, focus, exposure, internal flip filter.

Lights for night dives, but lights are a whole other subject.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for.

You guys are doing good. I'm a data collector at heart and I need to have an understanding of what I'm looking for.

OK ronrosa.... give us the 2 camcorders you're referring to for comparison (lg./sm.).

drbill... yes I am on a tight budget. I'm just trying to get a feel of the most important components and which one's I can compromise on.

Keep going guys... this is good stuff.

Calinectes:
You guys are doing good. I'm a data collector at heart and I need to have an understanding of what I'm looking for.

OK ronrosa.... give us the 2 camcorders you're referring to for comparison (lg./sm.).

drbill... yes I am on a tight budget. I'm just trying to get a feel of the most important components and which one's I can compromise on.

Keep going guys... this is good stuff.

Sony HC1 (small) and FX1 (big).

You should start seeing 3ccd mini dv camcorders like Sony TRV900's, 950's, 2000's, 2100's and matching housings poping up in the used market as people upgrade to HD. I am even contemplating it.

How much you askin for it?

I'm heading to Irian Jaya in March. I'm desperate to go digital and get rid of my Nik V. I thought video would be fun. I never got very good with the Nik. anyway.

Calinectes:
How much you askin for it?

I'm heading to Irian Jaya in March. I'm desperate to go digital and get rid of my Nik V. I thought video would be fun. I never got very good with the Nik. anyway.

I haven't really thought about it until this week when I heard that some housing mfrs had manual WB on the HD. Guess I'll have to research the price ranges on ebay.

Ronrosa, I think most manufacturers have the MWB for the HD.

My perfect setup begins with the camera...one with MWB. I guess I am wanting too much unless I go HD.

So what are we selling?? If it is a HC-1 I would be very interested.

crpntr133:
Ronrosa, I think most manufacturers have the MWB for the HD.

My perfect setup begins with the camera...one with MWB. I guess I am wanting too much unless I go HD.

So what are we selling?? If it is a HC-1 I would be very interested.

Yeah, for the FX1 most have manual white balance, but the HC1 it's just Gates and Ocean Images right now.

DOH !! Actually reading the fine print, it's not the HC1 but the pro version of the HC1, the AU1 that has the MWB access, which costs more. DOH !!! DOH !!!

I have a Sony TRV900 and matching Gates housing that I am considering selling to upgrade to AU1. Still haven't decided yet. I may wait to see/hear some 1st hand video on the camcorder and housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom