Let's do an easy dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep Murky, the tired before we got in was the 1st bad decision. In retrospect the worst decision. Absolutely the worst. I really learned a lot from that dive, believe me. Somewhere on here I encountered this saying "the ocean is a harsh teacher, she gives you the test and the lesson follows" --something like that.

2airishuman 2 hours in the water!! Way too long for me. But creative that's for sure. Hmmm what could go wrong??

...//... Hmmm what could go wrong??
Knock that off, and I mean RIGHT NOW! (Yeah, I know that you are just messing with me :wink: )

Look, Hon. The longer that you dive with your SO, the more both of you will find that particular dive as being more and more sobering.

Another "simple rule" from OW: The longer that you dive, the more conservative that you will become.

@lowviz LOL!! :rofl3:
You have no idea as to how conservative I am now. I am very glad that lesson happened so early in my dive life.
My husband tells me I worry too much. Nope I worry just enough and I am always looking for lessons, and learning them. I'm a planner and a "what if" person. I have plan a, b and sometimes c. I take this seriously. Wait for it...what could go wrong?

I can see myself diving "easy" spots, with little to no current, at mod to shallow depths for the rest of my life. I hope I rarely have to have deco time. But that said I do expect to have the skills, knowledge and confidence to help my self and others if conditions change mid dive. I did my adventure stuff when I was young, and used up a lot of luck at the same time. There are things that I thought I wanted to do diving---caves, deep wrecks, poss ccr. :fear:Now that I know better I don't see that at all in my future. Nothing wrong with any of that stuff, but not for me. To be honest the hardest thing I have recently done is allow my weights to be pulled so make it easier to get on the boat. For me that is a huge sea change. I can climb the ladder with all my gear, but it's smarter to shed some weight since I'm almost an "AGING DIVER". Damm that phrase. So all the suggestions re older divers are becoming part of my rule book. I don't like all the suggestions but, hey......I do want to dive when I'm 80, and walk, and talk, and change my own diaper :p .:rolleyes:. Well, maybe not the diaper.

I do hope this is the first and last time I post a thread here. And never ever have to post or be posted in the Accidents and Incidents thread. I read this thread alot to learn, and posting my lesson is to help others, as well as more learning for me. For instance, Murky water was right on, we never should have gone in being tired. That's my biggest lesson I've learned today. 100% ready or just chill.

Sounds like you use the rule of thirds without actually understanding what it is designed to accomplish. My suggestion is to look into rock bottom gas planning and start using that instead. This is a perfect example of how misunderstanding the rule of thirds (or really any "rule" of diving) can very easily turn south.

You survived and learned which was the important part, but you're still a new diver with lots to learn. It sounds like thus far you've been diving conservatively, which is great, and an excellent mindset to have. You're ahead of the curve compared to most new open water divers. Do some more research into different gas planning methods and decide what will work best for you.

@JohnnyC :

A bit harsh, maybe, for this thread?

25-49 dives with a standard tank? Thirds does indeed fall apart with smallish tanks, but we don't even have an RMV for her. She did say an AL80.

Let's talk about following rules before they have become understood from every angle. Is that not what keeps OW's alive on the grand scale?

Let's talk...

I can take it! It's why I posted. So first of all what the heck is RMV? Sigh, something else to learn.

So I think the point was that one of our many mistakes is that we blew off the rule of thirds-wanted to stay down longer by using more air. We usually are back on dry land with 900-1200 in our tanks. This incident is the only time we have had less thank 900.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of the rule of thirds. Say I have 3000 in my tank. I use 1000 to do my thing. At 2000 the dive gets turned/back to entry. Under the best circumstances I will use 1000 to get back, the remaining 1000 is for just in case, like if I had a current to fight. Or to help a buddy.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom