Let's see what the FTC has to say about vertical price restraints in the biz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Letter going out tomorrow morning....

Let's find out if these policies are legal or not.... this ought to draw some attention.... comments?

Office of Policy and Evaluation
Room 394
Bureau of Competition
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20580

Dear Sir or Madam:

I write to you today to inquire about the legality of a common practice within the recreational scuba diving equipment industry.
A majority of the “leading” manufacturers in this industry have adopted policies that appear to serve to control prices to the retail consumer.

Specifically, according to multiple local dive shops that I have discussed the matter with, many of these manufacturers write into their dealer agreements a policy that bans discounts from list price of more than a nominal – usually 10% - amount.

Further, manufacturers specifically disclaim any and all warranties on their products if they are purchased outside of “authorized” channels, and many ban any direct marketing or sales at all, including Internet and mail order purchases, regardless of price. Several of these manufacturers actually display materials in local dive retailers explaining that these sales channels are both unauthorized and will result in the voiding of all warranties, and I have personally seen these materials displayed by retailers. Further, two vendors with which I have personal experience appear to require that the purchase price of their products be disclosed to register their warranty, and that registration is required for the warranty to be valid – both requirements appear to enhance their enforcement of retail pricing policy. One such vendor allows online registration of consumer warranties but it cannot be completed unless you identify an “authorized” dealer of their products as the source from which the product was obtained – effectively barring registration of purchases from online retailers.

As a former CEO of a company in Chicago who commonly dealt with retail sales to consumers and business interests, it is my understanding that policies that act to restrain the actual retail price at which products are sold frequently constitute a per-se violation of anti-trust law. For instance, I operated for years under the understanding and belief, as a consequence of conversations with corporate counsel and my general understanding of business law, that if I, and other companies in my line of business, were to meet and discuss “fair trade” pricing, or if we were to collude with others (including the manufacturers of products we sold) to effectively accomplish the same goal, we would be in direct violation of the law.

One vendor, in particular, actually publishes these prices, denotes their purpose, and calls them “Fair Trade” pricing on their web site! All they leave out is what, if any, enforcement mechanisms they may employ to keep their dealers in line!

There are, in fact, internet-based “discounters”. But these products are commonly known as “gray market” or are explicitly sourced and provided outside of the United States, and manufacturers typically refuse to provide any warranty or support for these products.

As a concerned consumer and a recreational scuba diver who has purchased over $2,000 worth of products from local retail sources specifically to avoid having the warranty voided by going to online and mail-order dealers, I urge your office to investigate these practices to determine whether they conform to applicable United States Law, and to take appropriate action to redress any violations you may find as a consequence.

I would appreciate being informed of the FTC’s understanding of the legality of these practices, and kept up to date on any investigation you may conduct in this matter.

Thank you.

I think that this is a good idea. I am very interested to hear the response that you recieve. I might have to follow suit and start writing some letters of my own. I have long thought that the marketing practices of the distributers could be construde as Price Fixing.

Keep us informed as to thier response.

Chad

I have a feeling that you are going to hear that this practice is perfectly legal. Ecspecially the warranty side of it. This is not only practiced in SCUBA equipment,but many other industries as well. Lots of custom car performance parts manufacturers do the same thing.

Ever wonder why only niche industries try this?

Its because companies like IBM have tried it, have been sued by the FTC, and have LOST! :)

I'll keep the board posted with any reply I get from the FTC.

Hey Genesis -

Great letter. I've been wondering the same thing about the scuba industry and the legality of the apparent price-fixing and anti-capitalist business practices.

And you're right about "niche" markets. Scuba diving companies aren't the only ones that enforce anti-consumer policies. Try buying a Tag Heuer watch on-line...or a Movado...or a Breitling...or any other watch that is considered "elite" (i.e. niche market that targets certain customers). They all have the same disclaimer: "Warranty is void unless purchased through an authorized retailer". This niche market is also very protetctionist (can't get more protectionist than the coveted and scretive jewelry market).

You know Timex couldn't get away with that same policy.

Anyway, I hope this letter gets some kind of reaction from the FTC. The business practices that the dive industry is clinging to are very antiquated and definitely not pro-consumer. They seek to limit the competitiveness of the market, not expand it.

Thx...Doug

I will put up a petition on my politics-fax site, point to it here, and you can all come and SIGN THE THING.

It will FAX YOUR Congressmen :)

THAT will get their attention - and FAST! Especially coming a month or so before the election...

And yes, I WILL do it. I've done it before (A-B is feeling some heat about their misleading Manatee exhibit at Seaworld due to precisely the same kind of point of attack....)

What is the URL of your politics site? Also, what is your general political affiliation so I know what to expect when I visit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom