Let's talk cheap (or cheap-ish) in-town hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is definitely not a thread for those of you who stay at the Palace or El Presidente or any AI on the island.

There's a good chance we'll end up in Cozumel again late this summer. And though we plan on mostly staying at our preferred mid-range waterfront dive hotel, we might do something we've done before—spend the first couple of days inexpensively in town to relax and enjoy San Miguel pleasures without being on a dive schedule. I was okay with our previous town hotel choice (I in fact had been intrigued with the idea of staying there since our first island visit 20 years ago!) but might be open to others. I know people have their favorites (Pepita comes up a lot), but I'm hoping a few of you who sleep cheap in town will offer a few semi-objective opinions/impressions of the places you've stayed.

I'll offer up mine to start:
Hotel Mary Carmen. Pluses: Posted rate of about $30 a night (was it 350 pesos? I forget...), at least as of a year ago, semi-cute decor, charming courtyard with turtles that they feed (and, sometimes, gory local tabloid newspapers left on a table), great location half a block off the main square, free wi-fi, clean floor, no bugs that I saw, AC plus fan, television with a few English channels, water hot enough in shower. Minuses: no refrigerator in room or tanks of drinking water on premises; no pool; shabby sheets; not so clean in higher-up spots; not the greatest plumbing; only one three-pronged outlet in room; could generally use a coat of paint (as of a year ago, anyhow). Neutral: We had a room safe but couldn't get it to work; I have no idea if the AC would hold up to rigors of summer; beds were mattresses on slabs. Front desk seemed pleasant and friendly enough, though my poor Spanish limited communication to basic greetings and transactions.

I'm not in it entirely for rock-bottom prices, but cheap does have its appeal, and value counts. It's entirely possible that spending a couple more bucks elsewhere might be worth it, depending on mix of comfort and amenities. (Wi-fi is important, refrigerator and/or on-premises water cooler is a huge plus. A pool could be nice, especially if it's not as warm as a lobster pot, given that it will be the hottest time of year.)

So any contributions to what could be a nice, comprehensive town hotel roundup thread?

I would suggest Suites Vima,small family run hotel on 10th around the corner from Zermats bakery.Large clean rooms with air,tv,fridge drinking water 5 gallon with common micro wave,and wifi in lobby.I usually pay $30 per night.Isla Esmeralda is another nice place but can't find the web page recently.Posada edem is very clean,tv, air is extra from around $25 dollars per night.My favorite is Suites Vima only 12 rooms and nice vibe from the family that runs it but not a lot of english spoken.

Perhaps take a look at Villa Escondida. Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast . This B & B is located on Avenida 10 between Calle 3 and Rosado Salas, across the street from La Choza. The location is very quiet considering it is in the middle of town. The amenities include: Adult only, Walking distance to everywhere, pool, well maintained grounds, private/off street parking, community fridge/TV, microwave, Large VERY clean rooms with large bathroom/showers and plenty of storage, great AC and daily maid service. No phone/TV in room however a House phone for local calls is available and messages are delivered promptly. The owners, David and Magda live on the premises in their own home, separate from the 4 room guest quarters. Now this is not a hotel and the rates are moderate, however, a full and superb made to order breakfast is included in the price and served on the patio every morning by the wonderful hosts.

Last edited:
If you are going in summer, AC is paramount. For me, I find I can't tolerate the old aircraft engine sounding square AC units anymore... I want a nice quiet mini-split. I am sensitive to the fact that electricity is expensive and don't run it constantly, but even a short-ish morning or afternoon walk leaves me dripping. I'm in the water as much as possible but still it's a must. Also a place with a pool in the summer is not necessary but very very nice to have. Suites Vima is my choice, but I have also looked at the Caribe on 2 (the pink palace with pool and frig in room) and Casona Real on Juarez. Have spoken to divers who love the Bahia. Being on the water can maybe negate the AC need: Blue Angel, Barracuda, Coral Princess. Not cheap but the view and the breeze compensate. Don't know if Barracuda has upgraded to mini-split, they had the loud AC when I was there in '07.

Amigos Hostel has a nice pool, and mini split AC on at night only. Their private room still has the loud AC last I checked.

I like hotel plaza cozumel just up calle 2 off Melgar. It is close to the pier,clean,ac,wifi,pool,water jug and microwave in common area and a great American breakfast included. You can get a room or $50 . I forget the name of the bakery next door but it is inexpensive and very good.

Is the Baracuda still open? Haven't heard much about it.

Casa Mexicana gets good reviews.

Hotel Cozumel is a block from downtown

Suites Bahia as already mention....free breakfast buffet attheir sister hotel Casa Mexicana Accommodations | Suites Bahia Cozumel | Mexico

Pepita as you mention http://www.hotelpepitacozumel.com/Cozumel_Map/Hotel-Pepita-Cozumel.pdf

Alicia's B&B back in the hood...also free breakfast this is where I stay Alicias Bed and Breakfast Cozumel Mexico/Cozumel Diving/Cozumel Hotel/Cozumel Scuba/Cozumel Snorkel

I have stayed at all three places over the years

Last edited:
I have stayed at the Vista Del Mar a couple of times and have enjoyed it as a low cost in-town option. It is clean, the water view rooms do not cost much more than the interior rooms, and I have found the staff friendly and helpful. The ac worked well and there is a mini-fridge in the room. The water view rooms are comparable to the Blue Angel hotel but the view is across the main drag with the associated street noises. The noise never bothered me at either Blue Angel or Vista Del Mar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom