LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow 19 pages and six years people are still wondering what all these letters mean. I don't get it, this group that identifies themselves with letters (whatever they are now I can't keep track) does so because they don't like to be singled out and like to be with like minded individuals, but in doing so don't they in fact single themselves out? The only group I don't like diving with is loud mouths that think they know everything. I really wish this group would identify themselves with some letters and make it known so that it's easier to stay away from them. I think all the dive clubs or just groups of divers I have come across have been made up of genuinely good people and the loud mouths and just plain jerks usually end up being weeded out as no one wants to dive with them.

Huh? Can you elaborate? I'm not understanding what you mean. I have friends who are both gay and straight and do things together (non-sexual, obviously) with both.
It has nothing to do with gay or straight. Neither does Trans Gender. It has to do with if they identify themselves as a female or male. It doesn't matter what sexual parts they were born with. It's what they feel or believe they are. So someone Questionable is not sure what sex they are

It has nothing to do with gay or straight. Neither does Trans Gender. It has to do with if they identify themselves as a female or male. It doesn't matter what sexual parts they were born with. It's what they feel or believe they are. So someone Questionable is not sure what sex they are
Oh thanks. I didn't quite understand your point and now I do.

Wow 19 pages and six years people are still wondering what all these letters mean. I don't get it, this group that identifies themselves with letters (whatever they are now I can't keep track) does so because they don't like to be singled out and like to be with like minded individuals, but in doing so don't they in fact single themselves out? The only group I don't like diving with is loud mouths that think they know everything. I really wish this group would identify themselves with some letters and make it known so that it's easier to stay away from them. I think all the dive clubs or just groups of divers I have come across have been made up of genuinely good people and the loud mouths and just plain jerks usually end up being weeded out as no one wants to dive with them.
Oh. That's called DIR.

Hello Divers,

Just a note that my dive club has some openings on trips the next few months / years and some of you might want to look into it.

The club is Rainbow Divers, it is primarily an LGBTQ club but welcomes straight people as well. Joining Rainbow Divers and going on several trips has been one of the best things we did in recent years - great people, and fun trips!

The website is here: Northern California Rainbow Divers - Home

List of upcoming trips (details on the website):

Annual Channel Islands Trip, Sep 13 - 16. www.rainbowdivers.org/event-2488107

FeBrina Live Aboard in Papua New Guinea, Oct 3-13. The trip shows full, but up to three participants would like to sell their spots if you are interested. www.rainbowdivers.org/event-2259928

Annual Diving For Life Fundraiser, Oct 14-21. Raising money for local charities that support LGBTQ+ health related needs. www.divingforlife.org

Wakatobi Dive Resort in Indonesia, July 2018. www.rainbowdivers.org/event-2586929

Roatan Agressor in Roatan Honduras, August 2018. www.rainbowdivers.org/event-2617727

Mermaid II Live Aboard in Raja Ampat Indonesia, January 2019. http://www.rainbowdivers.org/event-2548413

Happy diving!

- Bill
You might want to read this post by @doctormike LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?
What if they want to dive in Indonesia, Antigua, Barbuda, Belize, Dominica, Egypt, Grenada, Jamaica, Malaysia, the Maldives, Myanmar, Palau, Paupa New Guinea, Samoa, the Seychelles, the Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad, Tobago orTuvalu?

Homosexuality is illegal in all of those countries. Yeah, maybe they would be fine. Or maybe some local hotshot wants to make a point by arresting "criminals", or worse? It's actually a capital crime in Mauritania, but I hear that they have nice reefs.

So just because you personally don't see any problem, doesn't mean that anyone who does is making "much ado about nothing".
before deciding on going to some of those places. The political situation in a few of them isn't great right now. Appearing different from what is generally considered acceptable there may not be all that safe right now.

My gay dive buddies told me that they "mean to give no offence but sometimes they just like to be with people like themselves because it's more comfortable overall." And They needn't always be as discrete.

Have to say I will dive with anyone (so long as they are safe). I am perfectly comfortable with displays of affection who ever they are from and too. I certainly hope that all my friends of all orientations are comfortable enough in my company to not feel inhibited in any way (judging by their behaviour that is certainly the case!). Just as I couldn't care less if my straight friends are holding hands/kissing/cuddling, I couldn't care if my LGBT friends do it either.

I do think it is reasonable to expect a level of behaviour commensurate with the place you are in irrespective of race, religion, sexual orientation etc. I was brought up with the attitude "treat others as you wish to be treated" which means I have no issues with people displaying affection however there are bounds of common decency. If you want to progress beyond that, there are times and places for it - I have no qualms about saying "get a room FFS" to any of them.

My gay dive buddies told me that they "mean to give no offence but sometimes they just like to be with people like themselves because it's more comfortable overall." And They needn't always be as discrete.

You have nice gay friends. After seeing the phrase "LGBT diving", mine would probably have spent a few minutes joking about "not that kind of diving" and "gay in the bad sense of the word".

I both love SCUBA, freediving, and the like, and also am bisexual. It's good to see that most of the divers on here don't want to exclude anyone based on something that is completely irrelevant to our common activity.

Additionally, this is a good thread because of the context of the society we live in. It is important to speak up. I'd definitely enjoy being a part of an LGBT SCUBA club. You know, work on the gay agenda and stuff. Just kidding, but also I'm serious. There's strength in numbers.

Also, lately, if you don't dive, and are not family, I may not have time to hang around! That's basically what keeps me away from advocacy organizations I should probably be a part of, you know, to further the gay agenda... of existing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom