Li-ion conversion for 10w hid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FL Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a flood, I have re-assembled my MR11 hid light, everything works fine, but the battery pack shows some oxidation and one of the cells is swelling. In addition, in a bath tub test I am only getting an hour burn time on a full charge.

I have the skills to make a new NiMh pack, but would like to use lithium ion batteries and eventually make a smaller canister to house the battery. Can I use a higher voltage pack without damaging the bulb ballast? I am considering a pack 13.2 or 11.1 volts. I can make a li-ion pack, but do not know how to make a pack with regulated 12volts.

Can I use a lower voltage and still get the same or nearly the same output?

Will the color temp change?

I tried a search but did not return any results so if this post is a dead horse, I apologize in advance.

Much praise to the DIY gods.

After a flood, I have re-assembled my MR11 hid light, everything works fine, but the battery pack shows some oxidation and one of the cells is swelling. In addition, in a bath tub test I am only getting an hour burn time on a full charge.

I have the skills to make a new NiMh pack, but would like to use lithium ion batteries and eventually make a smaller canister to house the battery. Can I use a higher voltage pack without damaging the bulb ballast? I am considering a pack 13.2 or 11.1 volts. I can make a li-ion pack, but do not know how to make a pack with regulated 12volts.

I tried a search but did not return any results so if this post is a dead horse, I apologize in advance.

Check;

BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328

Or

http://www.batteryspace.com/12vnimhbatterypacks.aspx
Or

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ionbatterypackforreplacement.aspx

They make complete battery packs for about what it cost in parts.....Just contact them and let them know what kind of light you have and what your looking to do....

Welch-Allyn 10W ballasts are a bit picky about input voltage - there are at least three models with different input voltage ranges. The new replacement, 14W NGX has a lot wider range, 9-16V IIRC.

Getting a lithium pack for a 10W light might be a bit of overkill, you can get nice burntime with really small NiMH packs too, like 10 x 4/3AA's for 4.5Ah or 3.5Ah with cheaper cells. Of course, as an DIY experiment it makes sense. :D

//LN

Here is WA's current 10w ballast list (at one time, there were four voltages to choose from).
Welch Allyn - Lighting Products Division

Yes, you will see color shift if the voltage is wrong. I know my DR 10w light went "purple" when the SLA battery was approaching full discharge. WA also states the 10w ballasts are unregulated and suggest using voltage regulated supplies. It further states:

"Welch Allyn lamps are designed to operate from 2 to 28 volts, AC or DC power. We recommend the use of regulated DC power supplies to yield the best life-span.

The Rerating Information, to the right, shows the relationship of voltage to lamp life. For example, a 10% increase or decrease in applied voltage will cause a 50% decrease or increase respectively in lifespan. This clearly shows the value of voltage control and why unregulated AC power supplies are not recommended."

The ballast is designed to work over a range of voltages. What it does is to change the input voltage to give the proper voltage and current to run the HID. I have powered my 12W BS HID from 9V to 16V and you can really see how it works when using a variable power supply. As the voltage in increases, the current decreases and vice versa.

Mine is a BS but you should be OK with 4 LiIon batteries in series and 2 of those in parallel should give you over 5 hour runtime... This would be 14.8V at about 5000mah. Eight batteries total. If you get quality batteries. Don't get the $3 ones cause they SUCK!!! So far, all of the Chinese batteries I have used are overrated. Luckily I have a tester that tells me exactly what to expect. Some are really overrated some are not.

The ballast is designed to work over a range of voltages. What it does is to change the input voltage to give the proper voltage and current to run the HID. I have powered my 12W BS HID from 9V to 16V and you can really see how it works when using a variable power supply. As the voltage in increases, the current decreases and vice versa.

Mine is a BS but you should be OK with 4 LiIon batteries in series and 2 of those in parallel should give you over 5 hour runtime...

Comparing BrightStar and Welch Allyn ballasts is an apples and oranges comparison. There's a reason WA makes three different 10w ballasts with input voltages at 10.4, 12.8, and 13.8 vdc respectively. They aren't regulated like the Bright Star's are.

Also, while you're slamming the Chinese batteries, I'm sure you know the Bright Star stuff is made in China, right??

Comparing BrightStar and Welch Allyn ballasts is an apples and oranges comparison. There's a reason WA makes three different 10w ballasts with input voltages at 10.4, 12.8, and 13.8 vdc respectively. They aren't regulated like the Bright Star's are.

Also, while you're slamming the Chinese batteries, I'm sure you know the Bright Star stuff is made in China, right??

Slamming certain Chinese batteries... I have found some are adequate.

A 4 cell Li-Po Battery pack would be 12.8v which is close enough since actual voltage is less and HID can tolerate +/- 1 volt. at 4000mAh it should last around 6 hours????

Any known issues with using li-po batteries in a dive torch?

Thanks for all the info so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom