Liability with buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all insanity -- Buddy Waiver here I come! In fact, screw that, I don't want any buddy on my dive

Hey! That is the conclusion I came to.

And can anyone see the amazing advantages to "solo with partner" If two solo people dive together, you have the advantages and none of the disadvantages. You can basically write out the government, which has to be good. I will not actually do waivers on the boat, so I guess this requires you make some sort of statement.

Some states have strong waiver laws and some states do not, according to PADI legal department.

Puffer Fish:
I'm sure some of our legal guys would be nice enough to cover which states do and which do not and how that effect the potential liability. You may need different waivers for different states.

that would be getting too close to rendering legal services for me to go there
ethically. but, you are absolutely right. the first thing you need to do
when dealing with a waiver is talk to a lawyer in your state who knows the
law in your state.

H2Andy:
that would be getting too close to rendering legal services for me to go there
ethically. but, you are absolutely right. the first thing you need to do
when dealing with a waiver is talk to a lawyer in your state who knows the
law in your state.

Translation: It's too much work to not get paid for (and assume the malpractice liability) :D

well, there's also the "practicing law without a license" bit that can get me
disbarred :wink:

Reading through all the posts on this topic, especially those from legal professionals, has made several things compellingly clear. Cut through the qualifications and fine points, and you are left with a few basics:

nothing is ever guaranteed or final

each case is its own separate reality

judges and juries have enormous latitude

you always can be sued no matter what. Final outcomes, probability of dismissal, etc., are not relevant to the requirement that a complaint be formally answered, the expenses of which must be paid by someone; the defendant directly, the population which pays insurance premiums, and society in general because of the increased costs of doing business

the trend is very strongly in the direction of expanding definitions of liability and increasing degrees of financial risk.

To say that high blanket insurance coverage is the answer is like saying that the answer to increasing levels of violence is the emploment of armed bodyguards. Ultimately, there is no real protection from the tyranny of the civil litigation system, other than having no assets. Case law, precedents, and similar guides can never be relied upon absolutely. Your situation may be the one which becomes new precedent.

I like Jonathan Swift's definition of precedent: "a wrong which, having been once committed, may thenceforth be repeated."

There are a number of primitive peoples who believe that all death and illness is caused by malice, black magic and spells. All misfortune, therefore, has an author, a culpable individual who must be punished and who must make restitution. Our civil litigation structures seem to be devolving into a system based on similar logic.

Me? I don't want to leave my fate in the hands of 12 people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty, or worse yet, didn't want to. That's why there is now a Dive Buddy waiver! (See other post)...

CN

Best thing to do when buddy gets in trouble....take his dive knife and plunge it into his heart. Tell others he killed himself when you surface.

who wants to go diving with me?

Better to stuff the corpse under a coral head or some sunken structure. The knife wound may generate awkward questions. Otherwise, I think it's a splendid idea.

what was that joke, the only worst thing than being tried for murder is
being tried for attempted murder? cause the guy survived and gets to tell
the world how you tried to off him?

Back
Top Bottom