License ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wonderingif you needed a license for spear fishing? Where do you buy spear fishing and lobster licenses?
Thanks

It's a regular fishing liscense, with an ocean enhaancement stamp. Big 5, Sport Chalet will have them. Pick up a set of regs, too, better to know the rules.

PhotoTJ:
It's a regular fishing liscense, with an ocean enhaancement stamp. Big 5, Sport Chalet will have them. Pick up a set of regs, too, better to know the rules.

Just went to Sports Chalet today, next time I'll ask them thanks a lot. Are the licenses expensive?

A yearly license is about $36, Ocean Enhancement is $3.75. A 2 Day License is $16.55. It's cheaper to buy the Yearly, even though it expires Dec 31 if you plan to go more then once. And yes Ana, I learned my lesson on this one. :wink:

roteri:
A yearly license is about $36, Ocean Enhancement is $3.75. A 2 Day License is $16.55. It's cheaper to buy the Yearly, even though it expires Dec 31 if you plan to go more then once. And yes Ana, I learned my lesson on this one. :wink:

Wow, half the price for 2 days, Thanks a lot.

After you get the license, read the regulations. They publish a new rule book every year and do internet updates. The fine for getting caught not in compliance could be painful. In some cases the fine runs in the 4 digits per fish! We are talking serious money plus potential loss of equipment (scuba, boat etc)! So before you hunt you need 3 things:
1. Correct license (in the car or on the boat if diving, displayed on you if surface fishing).
2. Knowledge of the rules.
3. Good Fish identification sills. Be able to tell one type of fish from the other (see item 2 above). The old "can you eat this?" as you surface with your catch just does not cut it. Know what you are spearing, and that it is of legal size and in season before you spear it.

The rules are not simple. There are seasons and location restrictions. You may take one type of fish in this month here, but not there etc. Also, as someone else found out recently, there are lots of places in CA that are designated no take areas. Know where you are in relation to them.

Back
Top Bottom