lift an old dock question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have been diving off/on for 25 years. I have been enlisted to
lift an old dock for my mother. The dock is hinged on a seawall.

In the late 1980s, we used to use 4 55 gallon drums and 2 nylon straps and lift an old fruit truck from 120 feet back to 30 feet at Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas. It was fun and simple. Biggest trick was to be patient and NOT put too much air in the drums.

I tried out the drum trick last weekend. I got the dock off of the lake floor ( 8 feet deep at the end ) by placing a drum at about the 1/2 way point. I put another drum beside it and got it a little higher. Then I struggled but eventually got another drum about at the 2/3 's mark of the dock ( it is 3 layers of wood and metal welded structure that is the bottom ). I got the end of the dock to about 3 feet below the surface. At least, the dock handrails are now visible. No longer a hazzard to boats.

Not having the nylon straps or knowing where to get one, what do you suggest I do to get the dock to the surface where I can attach it to the old floating part of it that held it up until it broke apart in the winter. I do have a lot of chains and hoists around but I am not sure how to put this back together.

It was a fun diving experience as I learned to be VERY careful where I put the fingers and I learned another use for the BCD release and octopus regulator. Interesting checkout dive for my equipment eh ?

How high do you need to get it to reconnect?
If it's just at the surface build a ladder grate to hold a few drums and get it UNDER the dock before filling the drums.

If it takes a higher lift a barge crane is a good idea, or a hydraulic boom crane.

If you can't get a crane to the area an alternate is a couple 2 ton boulder bags under the structue (use plywood under a ladder grate to spread the load) should lift it quite handily if only three 55 gal drums got it close to the surface. Be careful ANY lift bag or drum arrangement system can bite!

Check http://www.carterbag.com/boulder.html for a CBBB2000

Not sure about the dock but just wanted to stop and say hello and welcome.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

You've already done more than I'd suggest. I'd have to be there to see it. "Not having the nylon straps or knowing where to get one..." If you can't find any in a hardware store there, PM me with your specific needs, and I'll see what I can find here in the wilds of West Texas...

don

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom