Lift bag for ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
Are lift bags used for ascent and safety stop in low vis either due to darkness or due to your garden variety cruddy water?

If so, what do you use and how do you use it?

Both darkness and cruddy water can leave you in mid water with fewer visual references.

From deep water with several stops required in mid water, I will normally use the anchor line or a shot line for an ascent line.

But if I am unable to return to the ascent line for whatever reason, I will shoot a lift bag on a reel. It gives you a reference for the ascent as well as for the stop and also gives you something to hang off of to make maintaining bouyancy a little easier during a deco stop. You can stay a pound or so heavy and just hang on the line.

In a current a heavier upline is required and 1/4" sisal rope is commonly used as it quickly biodegrades but is strong enough to hold the bag and the diver stationary in a strong current. (unless it has already partially biodegraded on the reel due to being damp after numerous dives) A reel for an upline is both larger and simpler than a wreck reel or saftey reel and the line is cut and tied to the wreck before the ascent is started to keep the line stationary.

An upline is used when you can't reach the ascent line but to not want to drift down current from the boat during the ascent. Usually if the boat is anchored with divers on the anchor line, it is stuck there until the other divers come up and you could drift a long way before they could come looking for you.

I normally use a 100 lb Carter lift bag as it is very versatile and works very well salvaging any achors discovered during the dive if required. But a 25 to 50 lb bag is more common and many people prefer semi closed bags that won't dump air on the surface. However I have never had a problem with a Carter bag dumping air even with an open bottom and they are in my opinon much easier to fill.

DA Aquamaster:
Both darkness and cruddy water can leave you in mid water with fewer visual references ...

Yeah, that's what has prompted the question. A number of times I haven't found the anchor and needed to go up.

So, what EXACTLY is used. I've seen the reels advertised on various sites (Oxycheq, Diverite, etc.). Is it just one of these reals with a certain weight of line time to a floatation device?

UWSojourner:
So, what EXACTLY is used. I've seen the reels advertised on various sites (Oxycheq, Diverite, etc.)
Some people use reels. I really like the ease of use and compactness of a finger spool. I did have a problem with the DiveRite ones, though. They're pretty close to neutrally buoyant and wouldn't always come back if I let go while shooting a bag. Then I had an idea - unwound all the line and added a wrap of lead core solder. Covered it with electrical tape and rewound the line. The couple grams of extra weight makes it work much better :D

A finger spool fits nicely in a pocket where even a 3" safety reel does not. On the other hand a reel is handier when you are winding in the line and provides a nice handle to hang off of.

You need a reel or spool with enough capacity to do the job. If you are ascending from 150 ft and want a line all the way up, you obviously need 150 feet of line. Shooting a bag from mid water can be a whole new challenge in itself.

Line weight is not too critical in my opinion. I like #36 and #48 because I use them in other applications and they are what will be on whatever reel I am using. #24 would probably work just as well though as you are putting very little weight on the line and are using it more as a guide.

Whether you use a spool or a reel, it is a good idea to always unreel the whole thing and rewind it neatly on shore after use so that it will deploy smoothly with no snags when you need to shoot a bag. You do not want to try to hold onto a reel or spool that snags after you release the bag.

Specific choices of spools, reels and bags mostly comes down to personal preference as there are several different types that will do the job well.

DA Aquamaster:
You need a reel or spool with enough capacity to do the job. If you are ascending from 150 ft and want a line all the way up, you obviously need 150 feet of line.

Actually, you'll need a whole lot more than 150 feet unless you're in a dead still quarry or lake. If you've got so much as a hint of current, your line is going to be pulled sideways as the bag ascends.

UWSojourner:
A number of times I haven't found the anchor and needed to go up.

UWS- You should also consider getting a reel for navigation and/or fine tuning your compass skills. Not getting back to the anchor line should only happen due to circumstances that are out of your control. An equipment emergency or sudden acceleration of current would be two examples.

It happens to everyone sooner or later if they dive enough, but if it's happened "a number of times" to you already, something else needs work.

An ascent with a marker buoy should be considered a last resort emergency type procedure, not a substitute for consistently finding your way back to the anchor line.

BTW- My intent is not to put you down, just help you attack the problem from more than one angle. Hope it helps.

Scott

ScottyK:
... but if it's happened "a number of times" to you already, something else needs work.
No argument. Working on it.

ScottyK:
An ascent with a marker buoy should be considered a last resort emergency type procedure ...
Yeah ... I'd rather not have to rewind the line :blink:

ScottyK:
... just help you attack the problem from more than one angle
Consider it attacked :2ar15smil

Thanks all for your input.

UWSojourner:
Yeah ... I'd rather not have to rewind the line :blink:

LOL-

Consider it attacked :2ar15smil

With that attitude, you'll get squared away pretty quick. Good luck.......

Back
Top Bottom