Lift bag for ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Im talking about ALL the diving.

No you're not, and this is the problem with your argument. What you are talking about is not the same type of diving that someone who's instructed to make it back to the anchor line has to deal with.

Even though you also mentioned that you don't normally dive this way, you are also IMHO potentially putting someone who might read this thread in a dangerous situation. Making light of a procedure that can be a serious issue for certain types of diving should not be done by someone who is unfamiliar with said procedure.

Drift diving is conducted with an SMB inflated on the surface or a DSMB inflated immediately after starting the dive and is towed the whole dive. This is down when very large distances are expected to be covered during the dive (can be several miles)

You are describing just one type of drift diving, a category encompassed by any dive where the boat is not moored, and is responsible to go get the divers. There are drift dives where no DSMB is involved at all.

No you dont but i wasnt on about drift diving. Even sites timed for slack water or protected have underwater and surface currents. These surface currents are often impossible to swim against.

In this situation, what better way to ascend than firmly attached to the anchor line? If the boat isn't moored, and is coming to pick you up then you're drift diving :wink:

(ii) its response time if needed to get to a diver in trouble or pick up a drifting pair is massively reduced.

I find it far easier to just shoot the bag up and have a boat waiting for me when i surface. Occasionally i have to wait if another pair surfaced just before in which case we bob and drift on the surface until they're recovered then it moves onto us.

How can you make the top statement and not understand that in a situation where the boat "is" anchored, that the bottom statement is completely incorrect and potentially dangerous?

ScottyK:
No you're not, and this is the problem with your argument. What you are talking about is not the same type of diving that someone who's instructed to make it back to the anchor line has to deal with.

I already said if that was the pre-planned brief it should be done.

You are describing just one type of drift diving, a category encompassed by any dive where the boat is not moored, and is responsible to go get the divers. There are drift dives where no DSMB is involved at all.

You obviously use totally definitions to what we do here. Every single dive will involve some degree of drift. The only dives we class as true drifts are on sites where you intentionally drop into a strong current and just go with it, towing an SMB the whole time. All the others arent classed as that.

In this situation, what better way to ascend than firmly attached to the anchor line? If the boat isn't moored, and is coming to pick you up then you're drift diving :wink:

Doing a deco stop being splayed out like a flag holding onto a line isnt my idea of fun. Again, must be a definition problem as by your above comment every single dive ive ever done in this country is classed as a drift.

How can you make the top statement and not understand that in a situation where the boat "is" anchored, that the bottom statement is completely incorrect and potentially dangerous?

If you'd bothered to read at least 3 times ive said IF the dive plan is to return to a line it should be attempted as the primary means of ending a dive.

String:
You obviously use totally definitions to what we do here. Every single dive will involve some degree of drift. The only dives we class as true drifts are on sites where you intentionally drop into a strong current and just go with it, towing an SMB the whole time. All the others arent classed as that.

LOL -I quess we do. AFIAC there are three basic dive types. Shore dives, anchored boat dives and drift dives. If you're on a boat and it's not anchored then that leaves category three.

Doing a deco stop being splayed out like a flag holding onto a line isnt my idea of fun. Again, must be a definition problem as by your above comment every single dive ive ever done in this country is classed as a drift.

You're over dramatizing this :rolleyes: Hanging on a fixed line in a current is completely comfortable. You can bring what's called a "Jon Line" to clip yourself off if the current is strong and you don't even need to hold on. In the right location there will also be cool stuff like luminescent jellies drifting by to watch while you're hanging.

If you'd bothered to read at least 3 times ive said IF the dive plan is to return to a line it should be attempted as the primary means of ending a dive.

Then why did you so vehemently disagree while picking apart my original answer??? Basically it consisted of me trying to hammer that very point home. Is it that hard to concede that maybe I had a point?

Seem to have lost the fist attempt at replying to apologies if this is twice
ScottyK:
LOL -I quess we do. AFIAC there are three basic dive types. Shore dives, anchored boat dives and drift dives. If you're on a boat and it's not anchored then that leaves category three.

That's a basic difference between 'over there' and 'over here'. On most wreck dives the boat drops a shot line just coming up to slack water. Once swimmable, all the divers go it within a few minutes of each other, swim round the wreck etc, then start ascending roughly at the same time, although slightly spread out. On shallower dives, up to about 50m, almost all boats will expect the divers to bag off and drift in a line. On deeper wrecks a lazy shot or trapeze will be used, all divers required to get back to the shot, once released by the last pair, everyone drifts off together, together in case of any problems

You're over dramatizing this :rolleyes: Hanging on a fixed line in a current is completely comfortable. You can bring what's called a "Jon Line" to clip yourself off if the current is strong and you don't even need to hold on. In the right location there will also be cool stuff like luminescent jellies drifting by to watch while you're hanging.
Depends very much on how much tide and how long you are intending staying on it. I've tried jon-lines and didn't really like them, they tend to pull on the line a bit as you move up, making life difficult for everyone else.
2 weeks ago I did a dive on an 80m wreck, vertical down line, happy swim round wreck, and up, at no point was there any movement on the wreck. By 45m slight pull, no real problem, by 36 I was hanging on, my shoulders starting to feel it. At 27, I met the deco station, transferline and surface bouys on their way down, by them breathing against the tide was a problem, as my counterlungs were getting flattened, and the tide was sliding me along the line anyway. Bagging off for the last 30-40 minutes of stops was a huge relief. Everyone had to bag off, the last pair met the lines at 70m, and saw the bouys hit the seabed, we were only spread over 250m or so, the skipper kner exactly where we all were, taking some of the worry off him. The last diver surfaced almost 3 miles from the wreck site - a jon line would not have been very practical.
Bad vis and stuff is irrelevant to whether or not I would choose to bag off - I only dive if it is over 5m to start with

Then why did you so vehemently disagree while picking apart my original answer??? Basically it consisted of me trying to hammer that very point home. Is it that hard to concede that maybe I had a point?

As far as using a spool as an up line and also I've seen someone mention in another post about using a spool as a jon line (instead of carrying a separate jon line)

What weight line should you use?

Is 36# enough or would you want to go up to 48# or even heavier?

grunzster:
As far as using a spool as an up line and also I've seen someone mention in another post about using a spool as a jon line (instead of carrying a separate jon line)

What weight line should you use?

Is 36# enough or would you want to go up to 48# or even heavier?
#36 line has a tensile strength of about 300lbs. That should be good enough since you should be neutrally bouyant. That being said I use #48.

Back
Top Bottom