Lift bag question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to recover a 5hp outboard motor that rests at about 100'. How many people would I need to safely do it and how much "lift" would I approximately need?

What is the dry weight of the motor and approximately what volume is its displacement.

2 can raise it safely, but I'd recommend three.

the K

You could use lift bags to raise it to the surface. You would need to have some practice to do this, but that is what they are for. Doing a Safety Stop with a motor does not sound like much fun to me! :D

Why not just attach a rope to it and hoist it from a boat? It should pretty easy for a 5hp.

What Teamcasa said. Maybe you could just bungee it to your weight belt and fin it up with your BC full of air.

I would see if it starts before trying to salvage it.

Happy Diving

What Teamcasa said. Maybe you could just bungee it to your weight belt and fin it up with your BC full of air.

Change that to BC EMPTY and fin it up!! Probably cannot be done.... but for safety reasons don't use the BC to try to lift it...

Even a 5hp outboard engine will be somewhat heavy (60 -80 lbs.?). If he is using his BC as a make-shift "lift bag" and for any reason the engine comes loose, he risks doing an uncontrolled "Polaris" to the surface after having been at 100 feet.... not good.

Use a lift bag, but best is what Teamcasa suggested.

I'd like to recover a 5hp outboard motor that rests at about 100'. How many people would I need to safely do it and how much "lift" would I approximately need?
2 divers and a 50 lb lift bag.

All the best, James

If you do not have the skills and intuition about how to attack this problem based on prior training and expereince, I would suggest that you avoid this recovery dive. Using lift bags in 100 feet is not a trivial matter. Even swimming down with a rope, tieing it off and having someone haul it to the surface from a boat presents some potential problems.

Back
Top Bottom