Lift bag recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the way I was taught. Two bungee loops on the bottom of my plate under the tank. I find that it works great. I might also mention that I am diving a B/P and wings.

bwollard once bubbled...
That's the way I was taught. Two bungee loops on the bottom of my plate under the tank. I find that it works great. I might also mention that I am diving a B/P and wings.

It works well enough. I prefer the Halcyon MC Pak as I find it more secure. I use the bungee loop method if I'm carrying extra bags for salvage.

Tom

Carter makes "industrial duty" lift bags, and also builds several "tube" bags of similar quality that can be used as surface markers. The "duckbill valve" bags are easy to fill, won't loose air at the surface, are suitable for medium to heavy salvage, and they'll do double duty as an effective rescue marker. They bulk a bit larger than some of the light duty bags (Halcyon's comes to mind as an example here), but work great if you have the room for storage. Easy to store on BP/wing, a bit harder on some BC jackets.

FT

WreckWriter once bubbled...

It works well enough. I prefer the Halcyon MC Pak as I find it more secure. I use the bungee loop method if I'm carrying extra bags for salvage.

Tom

i have the MC pak but gave up on it as a stowage device. I could not get the bag (Halycon 80) out of the pak I went to bungee loops. Works fine.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...

i have the MC pak but gave up on it as a stowage device. I could not get the bag (Halycon 80) out of the pak I went to bungee loops. Works fine.

Phil

Interesting. I have mine stuffed in with the tail hanging out and attached to my rear crotch ring with a double-ender. I just reach around, unclip it and give it a jerk or two and its out. Maybe the 80 folds up significantly bigger, never used one.

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Interesting. I have mine stuffed in with the tail hanging out and attached to my rear crotch ring with a double-ender. I just reach around, unclip it and give it a jerk or two and its out. Maybe the 80 folds up significantly bigger, never used one.

I did exactly the same as you, but had a devil of a time as there is very little room between me and the bp. Maybe the drysuit and undergarments make a difference.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...

I did exactly the same as you, but had a devil of a time as there is very little room between me and the bp. Maybe the drysuit and undergarments make a difference.

Phil

Could be I guess, I generally am wet but have used it dry too (thin undies).

Tom

One thing to considder is visable size of the bag. I decided to go with the larg Halcyon bag to have a large surface signaling capability all though I never compaired the area of the two bags. I also had the intention of using the bag for artifact recovery but the one time I used a CC bag for this I wasent happy with how things went. With an open bottom bag the larger the bag the less likly it will tip as long as it isent fully inflated at depth. Thats the only reason I could see for having a large bag If I had a secound chance I would probly opt for the smaller halcyon cc bag.

Personally, I have a Carter 100lb bag with a control dump valve & cord. I would rather have a higher rated bag. If it's got a dump valve, and stores neatly, is highly visible, is shaped in such a manner as to not dump prematurly once it breaks the surface, and easy to deploy, what's the difference. You may not always use it as a surface marker! Better to have the extra capacity than want it later. Halcion is good stuff, there are others who make good stuff as well! I've had mine for three years now. I USE it winter and summer. Think of what you may want it for, how much you're willing to spend, and what kind of value will be put upon it, Deco stops, salvage, or practice. Base you decision then. I don't Ocean dive regularly, and have yet to use it on deco stops. There is always the chance something may go wrong and it's use may save your life. That concern should be at the front of your list!
Wreck/Tec

Salty
With all due respect, your chances of launching a bag fully inflated, by hand, aren't realistic, much less necessary. As the bag rises the air will expand and it's ascent will increase. This condition will only make it more difficult to maintain a full bag of air once it breaks the surface. You are the mechanism that controls the bags ascent and ultimately how much air it will retain to preform the task you require of it.
FYI
Wreck/Tec

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom