Lift bags are made to go up !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was thinking of building a dive trail in one of are local artificial reefs . This reef is extensive so a 7000 foot length would be a major project and awarding . Every 50 feet hammer down a 6 foot steel fence post multiplied by 140 = 1.4 tons . I think a lift bag is not safe or simple to handle descending with 200 pounds each load . May be another way to tackle the descent and transport the materials , any suggestions ?

A single fence post can not weight 200lbs. Where is the 200lb load idea coming from? Are you trying to place something other then a fence post that weighs 200lbs? Assuming these are a normal size fence posts I would just run a line from the diver to the boat and have the boat lower one post at a time to the diver. The diver moves to the next spot to place a post then signals the surface to send another one down. No lift bag or any heavy lift device should be needed if these things are of a normal size. If there is a need to place material that is in the 200+ range I would tie it off to the boat, put it in the water and just slack off on the rope slowly lowering it to the bottom.

Would concrete blocks with stainless steel eye bolts cemented in work?

1. Why would you drive metal fence posts in salt water? The costs would be enormous, salt would kill them and I can see damage to the reef coming from trying to do this. 2. Why would you even do that to a reef? I do get the idea, a trail to see all of it, but metal posts and signs everywhere kinda defeats the purpose of a pretty reef. 3. Maybe running a line that would hold up, for a while, using what is already down there and maybe some small re-bar pegs that can be driven into the sand (like silt stakes) to run the line on. You will have to maintain this line, repair and replace as needed. It could work, but a bit more thought and organization would be necessary to make this work. fwiw. Mark

One 200 pound payload would have 15 to 20 posts . Being solid steel their longevity could be 25 years . No coral reefs here but a big steel barge hunks of metal rebar ,concrete bridges , rock piles etc . thanks for the reply East West

You will find it much faster and easier to send down one post at a time to the diver rather then having the diver carry each post along the bottom at 50' intervals. On average it takes three times longer to do something underwater then it does to do the same job on the surface. You might also consider an easier way to secure these posts to the bottom. What is the bottom consistency in the area you will be working?

Building a dive trail or a blazing fast scooter run sounds like fun , where can I sign up for this halibut and lobster spot . Good Times Rumdumb

salt would kill them

Yeah my star stake street number is almost down to a foot, it either snaps off at the base or the number falls off

012.JPG

Then there's the house ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

What are the dimensions of the posts you plan to put in? What's the bottom like?

They are standard metal posts six and four feet in lenght meant to be driven into the ground with a post driver . This project has been on standby for the past eleven years , now all systems are set to go . So there is much fun mapping this reef and joining sections and a few spots that I may have not known . The bottom seems to be sand but is perfect for this trail of mine .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom