Lift Bags, please help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I didn't come up with the idea! :)

I don't understand what you mean when you said, "hold onto the bolt snap." Are you holding the spool sideways (like the letter "I") and letting the line come off the side of the spool with the bolt snap clipped through one of the holes on the underside?

If you really want to see something shoot a bag from about 60 feet! At 20 feet or so you barely get to see the spool in mid-water spinning by itself before the bag hits the surface.

There's also an important lesson here. In July I was on a five day California Channel Islands live aboard. I must have sat on the spool while gearing up (I keep it on my crotch strap's rear D ring) and dislodged it, because the spool came off on my giant stride.

I looked down to see my spool very slowly dropping to the bottom with the line still attached to my double ender, and the double enter was still attached to my D ring.

The urge to grab the line and haul the spool back up to me was incredible, though I managed to resist it because I knew all I'd do is cause the spool to spin in place and end up with a huge amount of line floating around me!

All I ended up doing is following the line down to the spool, unclipped the line from my double-ender and then wound it back onto the spool. Even though I was in some kelp, the line, which described a large arc half way back to the surface, just slipped through the kelp and easily wound back onto the reel.

Once you see a spool spin in mid-water, you’ll know to never haul up on the line to recover one! :)

Roak

what size line are you using on the spool? If it is #24
or larger, how the heck did you wind 150 feet of line onto
that spool?

So I was watching the video, and noticed the guy pull an LP hose from somewhere other than his BC inflator... maybe his drysuit? Since it wasn't his BC inflator, was this LP hose dedicated for this purpose? And wouldn't the LP on the BC inflator be difficult to remove while pressurized?

Hello,

I use the 50# subsalv bag with a trident reel. Never had any prob and she pops like a champ. I cary a special LP hose with various attachments on my unit (air gun, air nozzel and tire nozzel) for filling air matresses, tires, helpmeimlost bags (liftbags) and the like.

If the spool/reel fouls when deploying then perhaps it how it was wound?

Ed

GM,

I've got the EE safety spool, which is 3" in diameter and 2" wide (1 3/4" inside-flange-to-inside-flange) and it holds 150' of #24 cave line with no problem. Perhaps you have the gap spool, which is only 1 3/16" inside-to-inside and it holds about 80' of #24 line?

blacknet,

You're right; reels aren't that hard to use properly. The big thing you have to watch out for is loose line hanging around the spool before you shoot the bag because it seems like the line seeks out either the hub or the feed and get wound around it. The feed you can usually clear fairly easily, around the hub is pretty much a lost cause unless you get lucky.

To make sure this doesn't happen, after attaching the line to the bag you should take any excess line back up on the reel, keep some tension on the reel so it doesn't pay line out while you’re filling, make sure you don't pull the bag away from the reel before or during your fill and keep a small amount of tension on the reel as the bag goes up.

Point is, you have to do NONE of the above with a spool! You don’t even have to hold onto the blasted thing! :)

Roak

Hello,

I have all three, the one I use the most is AA02 the 'air blower' comes in very handy to remove stuff from goodies you find on the bottom, clean your reg after you rince it in freshwater etc..

Ed

To get back to what divernva asked, I use my drysuit inflater hose. It's easy to undo, and just as easy to reattach. My BC hose is rubber-banded to the corrugated hose, which makes it more difficult to work with. If I was diving wet, I'd have no choice but to use the BC hose. Unlike blacknet, I wouldn't rig a separate hose for tools. Totally un-DIR, you see (sniff).
And if anyone wants a spool, I make them.
Joe

Hello,

Well I don't have a dry suit (wanna stay dry then don't get in the water) I do have a seperate hose for this.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom