Light & Motion Stingray Housing Crush Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt McNamee

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Stingray HD housing that I would like to take to 350 ft diving the Bradley in LK Michigan in a few weeks.

I am told that the factory depth rating is 300 ft but cannot get them to say at what depth it will actually break.

Looking for more information on how conservative factory depth ratings are and if anyone has taken their Stingray that deep succesfully and if they had any type of problems.

Thanks for any input you can throw my way.
Silent Scuba Home

I don't know this for a fact but it would be hard for me to believe that it would operate at 300ft and not at 350ft. I work with a materials engineer and I called him before I posted to confirm my hunch and he said the same thing.

The factory rating is more likely than not very conservative.

Generally the issue isn't that the housing will crush, it is normally the case that some of the controls may not function correctly....

The Sting Ray is mostly electronic correct... I would think it would be fine.

I remember years ago taking a Sony compact still housing which was rated to 40m down to 67m... it was fine, was just a bitch to open when I got it to surface ; )

Generally the issue isn't that the housing will crush, it is normally the case that some of the controls may not function correctly....

The Sting Ray is mostly electronic correct... I would think it would be fine.

I remember years ago taking a Sony compact still housing which was rated to 40m down to 67m... it was fine, was just a bitch to open when I got it to surface ; )

The Stingray housing actually has sliding magnetic swiches with no penetration thru the housing and they do not seem to be very depth sensitive at all.

The housing worked great at 353 ft with no problems :D

For camera, video and lights, I always apply the 'rule of thirds'.

Start with the manufacturers advertised safe depth. Divide by 3.

1st third is safe.
2nd third is some risk.
last 3rd is fantasy.

:wink:

I used a Top Dawg (made by L&M) at 180-200 ft for several years. They are rated at 150 ft and I had absolutely no trouble with it in terms of the electromagnetic controls or leakage. I think you will find no problem with yours. However, if you do I'm no authority... just giving my opinion (for what little it is worth!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom