light opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoxHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So im looking for some opinions.

I have a 12w lightmonkey LED can light that I have been using for cavern diving. I have some hollis led5 backups and I was planning on getting a DRIS 1000 light as well for a backup.

After reading the reviews and seeing them in action i'm tempted to get 2 DRIS lights, and use one as a primary, and leave the light monkey at home.

Thoughts on this?

I've been using two DRIS 1K shorties as my primary lights for about 100 dives at Bikini Atoll, and am perfectly happy with them. We go WAY inside, pitch black and a lot of silt, and this light punches right through. I'm also pleased with the idea that primary and backup are identical. I'm using rechargables, and as long as you don't mind changing batteries out every day, and having a full burn time under an hour, this light will do all you want. Also, with the way the technology is changing so fast, it doesn't pay to pay too much for a light, something better will come along next year.

Greetings Fox I have used the DRIS 1000 shorty in FL caves and I like it.
It has performed well the only thing I would adjust would be burn times.
I plan conservatively and try not to burn mine down to nothing but switch off to another at about 45 min.
This is my practice the light will burn longer but two of them work well.

I am old school though and like can lights.
With your LM 12w LED two DRIS shortys would give a nice set up.
I carry a Primary, two back ups, then another DRIS shorty in my pocket.
The shorty gets new batteries or recharged every 45-50 min. or if not used batteries are cycled out.
There is no reason any diver should be without a light source in a overhead these days.
LED tech is off the hook if you really want to see a LED check out Underwater Light Dudes lights.

I have used the 26w and it is a canon of light.
Bobby just came out with a 35w.
These are very bright with impeccable workmanship.

CamG

I just ordered two cheap-o's off of eBay based off of a buddy's recommendation (and scheduling). They were rated for 1800lm, but considering the emitter and driver used I'm thinking it's 1000lm realistically. I bought two for like $78 shipped. One will be my backup when my fiancee is with me in cavern and/or on a night dive. She'll be using one as her primary, and one of my "nice" backups as her backup. I also won't trust them in a cave as backups, but my plan is to make them video lights eventually (we'll see how that goes!).

Having said that, I'll be getting one of the UWLD lights as soon as I can afford one. Those things are absolutely amazing. I want one of those (either the 15 or the 35) and eventually one of the video lights he's about to release (6000lm and unbelievably clean. Using it has been described as diving OW on a bright day). Those lights are unbelievably tough, have great flexibility with their snap-clip in that it switches between helmet and hand mount easily and quickly. It also has great customer support. Bobby is absolutely the best in the business at the moment. The energy density of his packs means he's using VERY high quality cells, and the lumen density and efficiency is unbelievable. I could not be more impressed by a light OR a company and I can't recommend them enough.

Edit - Having reread your post, let me say that your LM 12W is not a bad light at all. I'm sure the DRIS 1k lights are good as well....but I still haven't seen a handheld that can compete with a canister in terms of burn time OR light quality. 1000lm is not 1000lm. Spill, hotspot, temperature, etc....those are all hugely important factors in light output. You said you were cavern certified. Maybe a DRIS 1k will be enough for your cavern diving, but it won't really be enough for your Full Cave dives. I don't think it'd be long enough for your Intro to Cave class (if you go that way). How about when you transition into stages or scooters and start really pushing that dive time? If that's too far into the future, what about multiple dives in a weekend? I think you can't go wrong with one of those DRIS 1k lights. They have a nearly cult following, so they're obviously doing something right....I just wonder about them as canister-replacements in the cave environment. Maybe in the OW rec or wreck or tec for adding color and/or signalling, where you don't really need a light it'd be fine. However, it'll be hard to convince me to give up my canister for the forseeable future.

I have used both Hollis LED5 and DRIS1000. From hot spot "hotness" point of view, they are about the same. LED5 beam is narrower, with smaller hot spot. DRIS has wider beam and bigger hot spot. In terms of usefulness for signalling, they are about the same. DRIS just light up more area. I would say unless you can sell your LED5 for considerable more than the cost of DRIS1000 (which I doubt), it is not worth the trouble doing the swap. BTW, physically, these two light are practically the same.

As for DRIS1000 to replace LM canister, I think it is a good idea only if weight of canister is an issue for traveling. DRIS1000/LED5's body is quite long to be fitting comfortably on a soft goodman handle. LM 12W light head is actually more comfortable to use. If you have to go this route, at least get DRIS1K shorty.

Keep one thing in mind. Almost any light will perform reasonable well in a low light environment. Too much light may even be a bad thing if water is silty. The environment that separate a good light from a bad light is in day time with a lot ambient light. A bright and well design light enough light will over power the ambient and light up the shadow, get buddy's attention. In this regard, I think a caninster light still wins.

So im looking for some opinions.

I have a 12w lightmonkey LED can light that I have been using for cavern diving. I have some hollis led5 backups and I was planning on getting a DRIS 1000 light as well for a backup.

After reading the reviews and seeing them in action i'm tempted to get 2 DRIS lights, and use one as a primary, and leave the light monkey at home.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone for the insight.

I wouldn't sell my led5 lights, I like those too much, id keep them as backups for sure.

As it stands right now i'm not going to be going for further overhead training. I'm happy with cavern and in my opinion I have a lot of practice with linework before id be comfortable in a full out cave.

I think if I do pursue cave diving more id be more apt to look for a 21w or higher.....I think that may be the route I go.....Still have the can light but more then just the 12w, augmented with the DRIS and the LED5

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom